Steering coupler seal retainer....how to?

-

71Dartman440

Kansas440
Reaction score
So today I drop the steering column, rebuild the steering coupler in the engine compartment, get it all back together with just the seal retainer to seat the tabs down.....what a :banghead: mess that turned into. Ended up tearing the seal. :angryfir:

So what's the trick to bending these 8 small tabs down successfully and have the retainer stay put?

KQ-741KSS.jpg

Thanks for that link!!!! Sitting watching the tube last night I'd envisioned just such a seal in my brain thinking there had to be something better, simpler, more efficient out there. And yes...that factory clip is crap!!

While we are on the topic, can someone go backwards and describe how to take apart a column for rebuilding?

The trick is to distort the original cap as little as possible when removing it so it can be reused. Think bottle cap. The tough part is convincing a customer you did infact rebuild their coupling when they dont see a shinny new cap isb't dangling on the shaft LOL

While we are on the topic, can someone go backwards and describe how to take apart a column for rebuilding?

If you have an IPB (Illustrated Parts Breakdown), some patience and a keen sense of keeping things in order, you can got through it without much trouble...just time/patience and pay particular caution with plastic parts. On the other hand, if your toolbox consists primarily of a hammer, pipe wrench, and a pair of vice grips you might want to ask for outside help.:D

Those things zre the biggest pain in the butt. I got so tired of messing with mine I put a rubber grommet around the shaft and a hose clamp in front of that to keep the cap on. That was a temporary fix......still there today too.

Those things zre the biggest pain in the butt. I got so tired of messing with mine I put a rubber grommet around the shaft and a hose clamp in front of that to keep the cap on. That was a temporary fix......still there today too.

thats a pretty good idea, very inventive !!

-
Back