Steering move to front of K frame

-

articcolds

Reaction score
Wondering if there are any threads I am not seeing about the steering and k frame mods. I have a 68 Cuda and have purchased a QA1 K frame for the car. Now looking at the steering and finding I cannot get a rack and pinion set up for this car. So I was wondering if it is possible or if anyone has done a change. Moving the steering to the front of the K frame with different spindles. I see a lot of fab work to make it possible for a rack and pinion either way. My other thought was a manual steering box and an electric steering that goes on the column to make it easy. Or if there is something like the Crown Vic front end that many use on muscle cars for a complete front end change. I know it wont work on the Cuda but maybe someone has the knowledge of a different front end that would work. Someone out there has had to be in my shoes and done something right?

send me an e-mail and you can look at the HDK set-up

the problem is the geometry using the LCA factory pivot points with a stock K or any other aftermarket K (that utilizes the factory pivot point). They simply are not in the right place for a front steer / rack and pinion conversion.

Pay heed to what Denny says. This has been beat around this forum "to death." One guy did an early car for drag racing, and I guess it worked out "OK" last I heard. So far as I know, nobody "on the street" has made this work correctly.

If he K member is set up for a standard style box, why don't you use a Borgeson box instead of going through all of that?

I think the OP is trying to adapt a front steer rack & pinion to a QA1 (rear steer) K.

like trying to put a helicopter motor in a submarine....probably can be done....but no simple way to do it

I did call and ask QA1 about the rack and pinion problem. The answer they gave me was call Unisteer and see what they have. Well looking at that web site it only offers the custom application. So in other words make something work.
Looking at the photo of bOb Shingler looks like that was an easy fix for the issue. Is what your showing the 71 Pinto rack and pinion mod?
I am leaning towards just calling Unisteer and getting the universal rack and pinion then making brackets for it to work. I only see making the correct centering for full turn left to right work correctly. Or go and start all over again with a complete fab K-frame. I am new to Mopar so forgive me if I am searching in circles for what adapts to this.

-
Back