Steering problem, need help..

-

va-mopar

Reaction score
I have a steering problem and need some help. I have a 1973 matching #'s 340 Duster. Over the last 4+ months I pulled the motor out, cleaned the outer block and Repainted it, reinstalled it and added new headers, new alt,new powersteering pump,new water pump, new intake, and new carb. I runs great. But , Hear is the Question....When I pull out from a lot to the right or turning to the right while accelerating the steering wants to lockup.it only does this turning to the right while moving. It don't do this while sitting and iddling. I have checked the draglink, its not hitting anything. Can any one offer some help as what could be causing this? Thanks.

Either your idle arm is seizing up or you have a internal problem with the steering pump.You could back off the adjustment screw 1 turn to see if this helps or makes it worse.Did all the suspension go back together i the right places and the pitman arm as well? Are the tires or rims hitting any thing?I would put it on a alignment shop lift and do the turning to the right movement to see what is hitting,or you still have not gotten out all the air in the system.How did you bleed the system,as their is a proper way to do this.Mrmopartech

Thanks for replying Mrmopartech. Yes the suspension went back together ok,the tires and rims are not hitting any thing. I checked the headers and there were no marks or scrachies on them. And its been to the alignment shop and aligned.. Yes, I tried to bleed the steering system, by removing the low pressure line from the psp till it came out new and no air. Isn't that the way?..........

Did you take the top plate (held on with two bolts) off of the steering box? If so it may be out of alignment, I had that problem, you have to make sure that the top plate is correctly aligned or it will never wokr right. By the way do you ahve a picture of your power steering setup?

-
Back