steering pump leak

-

DRENO

Reaction score
Need some help. I probably shouldn't have done this because i don'y know what the hell I'm doing,but I'm sick and tired of running from fixing my car because I don't know. Fluid leaks out my the pump in a day of sitting,can't see underneath to find a leak so I took it out.I have the .94 style on my 340.Is there a common place for it to leak.How would I check for leaks.There is 1 compression fitting,that is my only guess.Can I use teflon tape on the threads? Sounds like I don't know what I am doing,doesn't it? :banghead:

p.s. didn't realize the bolt that goes into the block goes thru to the water jacket. :banghead:

Hi Dave teflon tape on that fitting will not help. Does the pump empty right out or to the shaft seal? Remember also that there is a seal between the pump and fluid tank that could be the problem. Mine on the Scamp leaked at the shaft seal. Robert

If it leaks while sitting and not running I would expect it to the pump reservoir to pump body seal. I believe it is very large rubber o-ring about 4 inches in diameter. With the pump off it is easy to change I think the reservoir is held to the pump by 2 bolts on the back of the reservoir.

The pressure line (bolts on) has small o-rings on the ends. The return line is the one with hose clamps.

Either the resivoir O ring or shaft seal behind the pulley or both.
Get yourself a factory service manual and a pump reseal kit.

Is there a wa y to bench test the pump as in apply pressure to the lines.I don't see any leaks and the paint on it is new.It's been sitting on the bench for 2 days ,not a drop leaked out.

Not really any way to bench your lines. By removing the pump you had to remove fittings that were potentially your leak. The high pressure side of the ps system is approximately 1000 psi which is close to impossible to generate by rigging something together. Sounds like the next step would be to very closely inspect the ends of the pressure line for cracks at the fittings or o-rings, clean everything really clean and dry and then reinstall. They do make uv dye for petroleum based fluids that can come in handy for finding the really tricky ones, but ps leaks generally don't hide themselves. With flow rates of 2 gpm at 1000 psi they make a mess fast.

I changed all the O rings and the shaft seal.Installed it and it's leaking out the bottom of the rersevoir. I have to tell ya i more or less distorted the resevoir cover (can) getting it off. Has anyone ,or do you think it would work to silicone the O ring area where the resevoir fits over the pump body?

Does anybody know if a tank from a slant 6 are the same? If so I have one for you.

Thanks Robert,but I went to Piston Ring in the chance they might be able to get me one,3 hours later they had one. I put it on last night and went for a drive round the block,looks like it's working. :blob:

Perfect and the weather looks great until the weekend! :burnout::burnout:

-
Back