steering shaft bearing replacement

-

sbh126

Reaction score
Well I got the steering box and shaft removed today. But before I take it to get powder coated I'd like to remove the bearing from the steering shaft. Problem is I cant seem to find a replacement for it anywhere. And I dont want to remove it and not have a replacement. What is this bearing called I've been searching steering shaft bearing but havent had any luck. It's to the left of the spring in the picture.

Attachments

• DSC01170.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 245
Is there supposed to be a white plastic piece around this bearing? found some bearings on jims auto parts.com but they dont look the same. I pulled the shaft out through the engine bay. not from the inside of the car. Would this have made the plastic part stay in the column?

Attachments

• KQ-543.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 171
Is there supposed to be a white plastic piece around this bearing? found some bearings on jims auto parts.com but they dont look the same. I pulled the shaft out through the engine bay. not from the inside of the car. Would this have made the plastic part stay in the column?

No there is not supposed to be a white plastic piece around the bearing. But, you can convert to that type of bearing. I did. You will have to drill holes at the bottom of the column for the screws.

Semper Fi,

It really is just a bicycle bearing. They will need its deminsions.. ID OD to match it up.

No there is not supposed to be a white plastic piece around the bearing. But, you can convert to that type of bearing. I did. You will have to drill holes at the bottom of the column for the screws.

Semper Fi,

I didn't know you could convert to this style bearing, cool.

It really is just a bicycle bearing. They will need its deminsions.. ID OD to match it up.

And this is good to know, thanks redfish.

I had to replace the bearing on my steering shaft earlier this summer when I rebuilt my steering column and it was that type. Took it everywhere and nobody said they had anything like it.

I did a little more research and found I could order one off of a mid 80s full size van, like a b100. It was about $9 from the dealer, I'll see if I can get a part # if i still have it.

3748229 is the part # that was on the bearing sleeve. When I recieved the new part it was just the bearing. Didn't look identical to what came out but it works fine so far.

Good to go Billytuffnuts. I'm gunna order that bearing on monday and I'll post how it works. I appreciate the help.

-
Back