Steering shakes and pulls left when braking??????

-

cheyne68dart

slant-six 225
Reaction score
When I brake my steering shakes and pulls to the leftt?

I have 9in drum brakes, replaced the shoes, drums and hardware. Worked fine for the first couple of weeks but then started shaking and pulling hard to the left. I'm thinking that maybe the brake cylinder is seized? Any suggestions? Its my everyday driver so need to figured out and get it fixed please help!?

When I brake my steering shakes and pulls to the leftt?

I have 9in drum brakes, replaced the shoes, drums and hardware. Worked fine for the first couple of weeks but then started shaking and pulling hard to the left. I'm thinking that maybe the brake cylinder is seized? Any suggestions? Its my everyday driver so need to figured out and get it fixed please help!?

Did you replace the wheel cylinders?

Pull the drums and check them for hot spots and if the brake shoes are worn the same on both sides of the car. You may have a sticking wheel cylinder that leaves the pads slighty touching the drums causing them to distort. Also check that their all ajusted properly.

I figured thats why you asked.
New shoes, old cyclinders running the seals in a new area of the cylinders with sediments in it = leak

Yep, that is why I asked about the wheel cylinders and the fact that it worked fine for the first couple of weeks.

I did not replace the cylinders. So you guys think that its prolly brake fluid on the shoes?

Ok, thanks everyone. If it is leaking and I replace both cylinders, will the same shoes be ok or will the shoes kinda absorb the brake fluid to where it would still do it?

replace them both. shoot the shoes and inside the drums with brake cleaner, they should be fine. install the drum, adjust ,then bleed. i would repack the wheel bearings while you are in there . after the drum is on, you want to adjust them so the shoe is just barely hitting the drum when you spin it.

Ok, thanks everyone. If it is leaking and I replace both cylinders, will the same shoes be ok or will the shoes kinda absorb the brake fluid to where it would still do it?

I have cleaned them up with brake cleaner and let it evaporate before I put them back together. In this heat it won't take long.

Sweet haha thanks guys! Getting the parts tomorrow and changing them. Ill be sure to give you guys feedback when its done!

Be real careful adjusting the wheel bearings. I had the outer bearing race spin in the hub on both sides (4 years apart) in my 69 Dart w/ 9" brakes. Pretty sure they weren't overly tight, so may be a generic problem.

Be real careful adjusting the wheel bearings. I had the outer bearing race spin in the hub on both sides (4 years apart) in my 69 Dart w/ 9" brakes. Pretty sure they weren't overly tight, so may be a generic problem.

When you say adjusting, do you mean the right torque?

Spin the hub while tightening as tight as I can with my fingers, then back it off to the next cotter pin hole that will line up.
That's usually about right.
Although I am sure there is a more tech way to do it.:D

When you say adjusting, do you mean the right torque?

-
Back