Steering Wheel Crack Repair....What did you use?

-

66340SEDAN

FABO Member #3649
Reaction score
I want to restore my original 2 spoke standard wheel in my 1966 Valiant, it has cracked at the base of the spokes and I want to restore it, what have you used and does it work? I know it may crack again but it will still be better, my paint is wearing off the rim, the rim is not cracked on mine but I have the correct color to paint it, just want to address these issues first. Thanks!!

Attachments

• Picture 283.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 425
  • Picture 710.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 410
Bisonite or Marine-tex
I wished I'd took pictures, but I used electrical tape as a dam so I wouldn't have a lot of excess to grind/sand away. Doesn't srink and is harder than epoxy.

Thanks for the tip! Is that stuff flexible? My dad said to use something cheap to fix it cause it may crack again. His friend paid $100's to restore a plain black truck wheel, his cracked less than a year later, dad spend a little, his only cracked a little.

I was told by a friend that restores antique tractors to use epoxy. I have seen his after repair and could not tell they were repaired.

Marine tex is epoxy, works good. Leave it a tad low, then: NAPA sells permatex vinyl repair. Mix your own color. $14. I used it on a dash, and a driver's seat. Good stuff.

Re-read, yeah, hard. Used for boat gel coat repairs. As ACDC says; harder than a rock. That's why leave it low, then vinyl patch.

Sorry green1. The Eastwood kit is $35 and has more than epoxy in the kit. I kinda like some instructions and other stuff I need to do the job right. I'm not an expert. tmm

I have used PC-7 epoxy and POR15 epoxy. Both have worked very well. I've repaired steering wheels for two of my Dad's tractors, two of his old Chevy pickups (53 and 41), three Barracuda wheels, a couple of Valiant steering wheels, and a few others over the years for friends. Haven't had one crack out again yet. (Knock on wood...ooh that hurts my head!) The trick is to v the existing cracks out properly and make sure the old material isn't loose from the steel core. If there is separation it will let go again. When applying the epoxy make sure it is actually adhered everywhere with no bridging. Take care to work it into the crack and ensure adhesion. A good wheel restoration is time consuming but sure looks nice when it's done!

I used hot glue, it doesn't get too hard and it is very forgiving and flexible.
once you sand it and paint it it is hard to tell it is there.

Be careful though the glue gun will melt the plastic in your wheel.

-
Back