Steering wheel issue

-

river rat

Reaction score
If I grab the steering wheel and pull it towards me, it moves about 3/4 an inch and then i can push it back into place, almost like a telescoping effect. Other than that, it seems to work ok. This is for a 67 cuda with power steering.

I am reading thru the service manual now, just thought someone might have an idea as to what causes this.

If i remember correctly there is a lock ring of some sort that keeps bearings tight to races. When ring clip comes outta the groove it lets the bearing come away from the race and in your case lets the steering wheel pull towards you

Look at the coupling that comes out of the steering box. There is a shaft with a pin that goes into it, most likely worn out. I had a 67 Polara like that. If you yanked it real hard, you will pull it right apart and can't steer. So I would fix it before you drive it.

If i remember correctly there is a lock ring of some sort that keeps bearings tight to races. When ring clip comes outta the groove it lets the bearing come away from the race and in your case lets the steering wheel pull towards you
x2,check @ the base of the splines for the steering wheel,there should be a snap ring there,they get weak and come out of place.check it out.

check the top nut that holds the wheel on the shaft.

thanks for the tips, hopefully i'll find some time over the weekend to check it out.

The lock ring holds the shaft up as is sits on top of the upper bearing. It wouldn't prevent pulling the shaft through the bearing or pulling shaft and bearing out of the housing.
I would suggest just stop pulling on the wheel.

-
Back