steering wheels - '68 Barracuda

-

Dave NEO

Reaction score
Anyone fitted a grant wood steering wheel on a similar car? Grant has a 15" 3- spoke wood classic look one but sites I've seen are not clear on which specific wheels fit my application. Unless of course they are all pretty much universal fit and the correct install kit is the key - in which case I still have no clue which kit to go after. any info in this appreciated. Got power steering so can probably go a little smaller diameter..floor shifter..

I have one, but had to purchase an adapter for my 65 barracuda. I really think it looks good, I haven't installed it yet and am considering repairing the original steering wheel and keeping it

I purchased it from someone here who purchased it and decided to use the stock steering wheel. That is about where I am. The wheel and adapted looks good and fits just fine and the horn button is the barracuda emblem.

I have a small momo type wheel in my 67 fish. The adapter needed was the hardest part to find. Momo to shaft diameter and spline count with a 1 inch spacing were my requirements in searching.
A Grant dealer ( Year One maybe ) should know which adapter you will need for your make and model.

IMG_20170302_162005.jpg
IMG_20170302_162119.jpg
IMG_20170302_162159.jpg
Anyone fitted a grant wood steering wheel on a similar car? Grant has a 15" 3- spoke wood classic look one but sites I've seen are not clear on which specific wheels fit my application. Unless of course they are all pretty much universal fit and the correct install kit is the key - in which case I still have no clue which kit to go after. any info in this appreciated. Got power steering so can probably go a little smaller diameter..floor shifter..
Yes. I have one on my car. I'll go get some pictures on my lunch break and try to find the part numbers for horn adapter and stuff that I had to order.

I would rather have a black stock 67 wheel and horn. they look better than the 68 horn.

Here are my reviews on summit;
Steering wheel:
Looks ok, feels good.
icon-favicon.gif
Summit Racing Verified Purchase

GRT-966-0
I am somewhat unhappy with the level of craftsmanship of the steering wheel. The wood should either meet around the outside, or the steel central core which is sandwiched between the two layers of the wood should be even with it to provide a smooth surface. It does neither, and the depth of the gap varies. -1 star. I was also a little disappointed that the page did not detail that one needs to buy the horn spring/contact mechanism. -1 star. The 15 inch diameter is nice with manual steering on my 68 Barracuda.

Horn kit:
It does the job
icon-favicon.gif
Summit Racing Verified Purchase

IDT-2611010010
The grant wheel that I bought needed this kit. Unfortunately it didn't come with it and it didn't even SUGGEST that one buy it. It works with the Grant 966-0 steering wheel.

Last edited:
Do you like having the Grant wheel versus the stock steering wheel. I think my fear is my car will be completely as the original model. Not certain I would like the different wheel. It is 15 inches which is the same as the original

Do you like having the Grant wheel versus the stock steering wheel. I think my fear is my car will be completely as the original model. Not certain I would like the different wheel. It is 15 inches which is the same as the original
No. To me the stock steering wheel feels better to my hands because it's thinner, but it would also make my wallet a LOT thinner than the wood grant wheel... =(

interior.JPG
My black 68 stock wheel is in decent shape so I'm hanging on to it in case I want to go back. Outside diameter is 16". Pulled it yesterday to get at turn signal switch - tightened up the turn signal lever which was way loose but appears I will still need to replace the switch eventually - it's just worn with a slight wobble in the contacts that makes my right brake light intermittent....your Grant wheel looks great - adapter part # would be excellent to know - thanks for your postings on this .

View attachment 1715024016 My black 68 stock wheel is in decent shape so I'm hanging on to it in case I want to go back. Outside diameter is 16". Pulled it yesterday to get at turn signal switch - tightened up the turn signal lever which was way loose but appears I will still need to replace the switch eventually - it's just worn with a slight wobble in the contacts that makes my right brake light intermittent....your Grant wheel looks great - adapter part # would be excellent to know - thanks for your postings on this .
I like your interior Dave . Very nice

-
Back