Stepped piston hitting head, options and advice needed.

-
I agree 100% I need more time with the tool, I am going to play around with it some more tonight and see if I have get an accurate and repeatable result.
I see a variance of .006 in some cases due to rod length and .001-.002 deck slope. If Its for comp...i send that block back for correction, but for most ...a thou or 2 is not worth fussing. Even brand new h beams I have measured have been thou or 2 off.
I'll echo what Rose and cuda said , re measure till you get consistency.

So my old timer neighbor stopped by to chew the fat as I was wrenching on my softail before I have to be on duty.

I never knew he had been a machinist mate in the navy many moons ago, so he gave me a crash course on the dial indicator and mag base.

He watched what I was doing corrected me on a very simple mistake I was making (don't ask rhymes with hero and heck) then walked me through the process.

So with his guidance I got #1 .086 #2 .089 #3 .084 #4 .086 #5 .086 #6 .086 #7 .086 #8 .086 I am pretty confident that we got good measurements as I was able to go back and repeat them.

So now I am back to the original problem, do I run open chamber heads, run the edelbrock heads with the .060 machined into the chamber to allow for popup pistons, or do I mill/swap pistons to work with the RHS LAX heads I already have?

Mill Pistons for 2 reasons
#1 you already have the heads
#2 Them RHS Head will out perform any Production small block head. Period.
If you go with the stock head, you loose performance. Yes stock heads can be ported but there is more money to get what you already have in the RHS head.

Milling the pistons seems the best choice......and all the way from page 1.

Or trade the RHS heads and get the 60179 Edelbrocks and set the quench gap with the head gasket thickness. I would go with the AL heads for the improved detonation resistance, but either of these 2 will outflow the stock heads nicely. Don't ever throw away head flow! (Unless you are building a logging truck engine....)

And very good for you for measuring the piston heights! I was in the Navy... I knew those Machinist Mates had to be good for something.... LOOL

Ordered the edelbrock heads, keeping the rhs heads for another motor. I will start another thread when they get here and mock them up.

I am sure I'll need to pick some brains on quench height and min PTV cleareance. Many heartfelt thanks to all that replied!

I know this is a older thread and you are saving the RHS heads but there is a section about cutting the KB pistons down for clearance in the book, how to build big inch Mopar small block motors. You are supposed to mill the heads or turn them down in a lathe, to use them with closed chamber heads. It is a good book and I highly recommend it.

-
Back