Steppenwolf MONSTER

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
i heard this song for the first time today and i thought it was written for our generation...

people we have to wake up and learn than political parties are just ways to keep the people against each other...

the monster is sitting there.... watching....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk3sURDS4IA"]YouTube - Steppenwolf - Monster[/ame]

I was around when the song was written, back in the day.
Have the album.
So now i'm really an oldtimer, when these songs were new.

Another quote from back in the day that applies to 805Moparkid......

Ah Grasshopper, you are becoming very wise.

Old school........class of 70

Another quote from back in the day that applies to 805Moparkid......

Ah Grasshopper, you are becoming very wise.

Old school........class of 70

:read2: i really like the music from back then... even if i'll never understand the full meaning but then again we are getting close for these songs to have meaning again...

I suppose you think American Woman was written about a chick?

I found some adapters for 45's the other day in the garage. Had a weird time explaining them to my 18 year old daughter.

I was born in the 50'es and the 70'es was good to me "thats my story and I am sticking to it" :-D
I herd it when it was wrote and had it on 8 track 8) battery operated under a cherry tree. :-D

Seems like times were easier back then. Now we have cell pones that thinks it's computers,pc and laptops that think they are tv along with other stuff they do.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIPan-rEQJA"]YouTube - Creedence Clearwater Revival: Who'll Stop The Rain[/ame]

The 60s and 70s had a lot of songs written about politics and government, it was a time of social awakening. John Kay is a great song writer and this song is one great commentary on the history/state of the nation. As you said it's still a relevant song almost 40 years later. Ironically I believe John is actually Canadian? There is a lot of good music from that era, I'm glad you're taking the time to give it a listen. Somebody mentioned the live version of this song which reminded me of a funny incident when I was young. There's a passage in the song where the band repeats this break over and over; while listening to the song my aunt said to us "your record is skipping". It really wasn't skipping, it was just the way they had arranged and played the song. My aunt that said that back in the 70's is now 104 years old.

America, where are you now? Don't you care about your sons and daughters? - John Kay

I was born in the 50'es and the 70'es was good to me "thats my story and I am sticking to it"

I'm with memike on this one, at least, what I remember of the 70's!:drinkers::hippy2:

I was around when the song was written, back in the day.
Have the album.
So now i'm really an oldtimer, when these songs were new.
X2 I still have that album on vinyl, history repeats itself, when John Kay wrote that song it was during Vietnam.

The 60s and 70s had a lot of songs written about politics and government, it was a time of social awakening. John Kay is a great song writer and this song is one great commentary on the history/state of the nation. As you said it's still a relevant song almost 40 years later. Ironically I believe John is actually Canadian? There is a lot of good music from that era, I'm glad you're taking the time to give it a listen. Somebody mentioned the live version of this song which reminded me of a funny incident when I was young. There's a passage in the song where the band repeats this break over and over; while listening to the song my aunt said to us "your record is skipping". It really wasn't skipping, it was just the way they had arranged and played the song. My aunt that said that back in the 70's is now 104 years old.

America, where are you now? Don't you care about your sons and daughters? - John Kay

i have to admit i always thought that the movements back then were just crazy hippies or as some as you know, WHITE PUNKS ON DOPE!

but after listening to the lyrics of so many of these groups i have grown to learn that there era was no different than this other than the fact that THEY DID SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

Yeah, America where are you know? Let's start gitting our S**t together.
Also born in the 50s. Lived through the 60s and 70s. Hope we make it
through this decade.
God help us all!
:banghead:

Sure are a lot of us that were born in the 50's and lived thru the 60's and 70's or should we say survived? Loved to listen to Steppenwolf and had all of their vinyl in the day. :happy10:

You know your an oldtimer too if you if you can recite all the lyrics to,
"Eve Of Destruction" by Barry McGuire.

Class of '76, born in '58, so that was also my era.
I will say that some of the worst films ever made came out of the 1970's.
By contrast, you also had films like Patton, The Godfather, etc.
Those were interesting days through which to live, as these are now.

-
Back