Stereo Help

-

kcoyle

Reaction score
I'm going to put a receiver under the dash in my 65 cuda and I already have the front speaker bracket from '74 sport. I plan on putting 6x9's in 2 speaker boxes in the 'hatch' area of the car and wanted to know if I would benefit from a small 50w amp for the 6x9's or if the head unit power is enough?

The head unit is 20w RMS and the speaker I think I'd use are 60 watts RMS.

Also would I want "wedge" boxes to point the sound up towards the glass or square boxes to point the sound at the back seat?

I'm getting tired of listening to the whistle of the old vent window seals and I miss my tunes.

More the merry, beileve me. If you can get a 100 X 100 watt amp to power the speakers, do it.
Wedge box's would be better. The best spot in the old Cudas are right at the back wall so the sound can clear the seat better.

Your hi wattage stereo sounds great but you need to power it with something. An old alternator system isn't up to pumping out the current you'll need so you will have to upgrade to a higher amperage unit and not run all that extra current through the ammeter because it was never designed for it. I would power it with a big fat wire right near the battery and use a fuse or fuseable link.

For a quick calculation of current use Wattage = current x voltage or watts/volts = current.

If you have a 50 Watt amp you're gonna pull about 4 amps at approx. 12 volts.
If you have a 100 watt amp your current will double to about 8 amps. in which case you use at least a 10 amp fuse in series with your amplifier power supply.

True, true, I have a '79 100amp Alt. in the Duster now. That cures most everything over the less powerful unit.

Thanks guys! I've been meaning to do the alternator but haven't gotten to it. I "think" its original amperage (not sure what that is). I see rock auto has a few replacement choices, all around 60 amps. Is this what I need?
Or should I try to find a local place on Long Island to rebuild it for what I need?

I will also bypass the ammeter before installing.

I would just buy a square back dual field 60 amp unit from a stock application.
Local parts yard should have one even if just for a core to trade with Napa.
You'll need the later model regulater and its harness connector from the parts yard also. Approx 6 feet of blue wire, electric tape and 2 hours tops.

I have got to jump in here with my opinion
As rumblefish360 said locate the speakers all the way back.8)
I have found that if you match the power from your receiver to the power of your speakers you can get a very good sound out of them:cheers:
So your 20w to your 60 watts will not do with out a 50 watt amp, Know if you had some 20 to 25 amp speakers you will be amazed.:cheers:
But if you are wanting a VERY loud sound system go with the amp.

Thanks guys. I found a local guy to rebuild my alternator at 60amps for about 50 bucks and I am confident it will be well done. He told me to check the alt case for a stamped number (64) which he says should indicate the year.

I'll spend the money wisely on this first before I go buying amplifiers and stuff, but I'll probably get the amp anyway!

BTW, what kind of amperage does it take to just run the car, no headlights,amplifiers, electric fans, A/C, etc?

Definitely get the amp, 60 watt speakers should take about 1.5 x watt rating to power without squarewaving. 60 watt speaker = 90 watt amp. A clean signal will prevent you from blowing your speakers and will sound killer. As the guys have already said you`ll need to safely power that amp so follow their recommendations or read the literature that accompanies the amp especially if you`re a bass lover. It takes a lot of power to push those large bass waves. :rock:

Thanks for the links. I've never seen the aluminum boxes before. That would look nice if i painted the black part the same color of the dash!

-
Back