Stewart Warner Gauge reading off by 20 degrees??

-

Relax360

Reaction score
I put a SW Green line electrical gauge in my 67 cuda along with the stock rallye gauge.after driving the car for a liitle while the greenline was reading 230-240 degree while the rallye read normal about 5/8 of the way to H

used an IR temp gun to confirm that the Greenline is reading high by at least 20-30 degrees.

Guess my question is this a bad sender or gauge? Some of the local shops are saying SW sending units are calibrated way off lately.

Any thoughts?

Brad

I put a SW Green line electrical gauge in my 67 cuda along with the stock rallye gauge.after driving the car for a liitle while the greenline was reading 230-240 degree while the rallye read normal about 5/8 of the way to H

used an IR temp gun to confirm that the Greenline is reading high by at least 20-30 degrees.

Guess my question is this a bad sender or gauge? Some of the local shops are saying SW sending units are calibrated way off lately.

Any thoughts?

Brad

How many senders are installed and where are they located ?

What makes you thing the IR gun is more accurate? "Jus' sayin' "

Best way to check the SW is to stick the sender in some boiling water. (Is this electric/ mechanical?)

(For that matter, you can check your stocker. Just temporarily extend the sender wire and a ground wire)

"Rig" a hotplate/ coffee pot, etc, so that you can stick the sender in there and boil away. Check your local altitude. For all I know you live in Denver.

This page corrects the boiling point of water with altitude and / or barometric pressure

http://www.csgnetwork.com/h2oboilcalc.html

I recently installed a trans temp gauge in my car and had to call Summit and have them send me a new sending unit as the one I had was faulty.
Also how did you seal the sending unit? Not teflon tape I hope.

Both sending units are in the water pump housing (440) the stock unit is in the stock location on the drivers side of the housing. The Green line gauge (the one I think is wrong) is located in what use to be one of the heater hose holes the other is plugged up.

I don;t believe we used teflon but i didn;t install it so i am not 100% sure.

I believe the IR gun is right is a very nice tool not a cheapy one.

I ordered a replacement sender so i will try that first also going to test the old unit.

-
Back