Still gets hot!!!!

-
Check you timing make sure its spot on. then invest in a new gauge.

also get the rubber block off for the hood like everyone else said.

after that reevaluate.

where can one find this hood piece? that blocks off radiator gap and keeps from hot air from circulating?

any one have any suggestions?

also what is this piece called?

OK. Update. Yes fans are both pulling.Timing is set at about 20* initial (couldn't really see marks) don't know total because i didn't have anyone to rev the engine. Radiator cap came with the radiator from champion, believe its 16lbs. Just had it idling for about 20 minutes or so after I put in a little bit more water. climbed up to 190 and hung out there for a bit. Slowly kept climbing, with hood on and off. I tried letting it idle and about 1800 rpms to see if it would go down, nope. Shut it off around 240 and it puked all over my nice cleaned engine bay. went up to 250 after I shut it off. It seems so hot in the engine bay that its hard to work in it while its running

i keep seeing this.How can any air get through the blocked half of that rad?
Maybe try removing the shroud and put 6 or 7 blade solid fan on. Mount it about an inch from the rad.

i agree,ive never used the fans,but that seems correct to me

I can't reach the linkage on the carb, its on the opposite side that the marks are on

Wouldnt cool my rb stroker. tubes are too small. I chased this for 6 months. Radiators junk. Get a Griffin Muscle car series. Its two row with 1.25 inch tubes. I wasted 6 months with timing ,thermostats head gaskets till i was left with the only option being the radiator being junk and it was.Cools 700 hp my ***!Griffins never over 190.

Wouldnt cool my rb stroker. tubes are too small. I chased this for 6 months. Radiators junk. Get a Griffin Muscle car series. Its two row with 1.25 inch tubes. I wasted 6 months with timing ,thermostats head gaskets till i was left with the only option being the radiator being junk and it was.Cools 700 hp my ***!Griffins never over 190.

Wow, that sucks and is probably the culprit.

I hade almost the same problem for the last 2 years

What I did ...

Change the stat several times without success
Change water pump without success even with a 8 blade impelled
Change timing
Change all the hoses without success
Change rad from 22 to 26 inch help a bit but not as much as I was hoping
Change engine fan from a 7 blade power fan to 7 blade solid to the 16 inch electric that champion send with the rad I even fabricate a shroud looking like yours (did worst)
End up with the ferd contour fan in cool day its ok but in 25* and hotter ihave to switch the second speed that I active with a second 40amp relay with that its ok it doesn't stay where it is it cool down like 205 to 185 in 2 minutes

So if I were you I would go to the scrap yard and buy the contour fan
And don't forget the hood to rad support seal it can only help!!!

My change and idea if it can help you

Bob

I believe that its just a mechanical advance distributor because there isn't anywhere to connect a line to the distributor. Could that still be the problem

Yes.

???? I think I see the vacuum dashpot on the distributor.

You can try all sorts of fixes to the cooling, but if the timing is retarded, fix that first.
Check the dashpot by sliding the advance plate, cap the hose nipple. The advance should stay in position, until to pull the cap. Another method is suck hose, block with tongue, or use muty-vac. Retarded timing can turn exhaust manifolds red, heat heads, poor throttle response, low power, eat gas....

get one of those stant fail safe tstats... when they fail they fail to the open position and not closed.... neat safeguard... 180 is perfect.

Sorry dude. There is no way those electric fans and shroud from champion are going to cool your setup. I assume it's a three row. Get the jaguar fan clutch with the viscious fan. Then build your own shroud. Several kits are available. Then take those two fans and install on the front as pushers. They help to have them in traffic.

If y out don't have any foam rubber, try putting a couple of towels in there as a test. I went through hell trying to figure out how to make it run cooler. It's still not perfect but A LOT better. The supercharger creates a ton of heat.

Alright guys heres a good update! Problem Solved! I switched out the stat I had in it with a stant 195 and I took the electric fans off and put the mechanical fan back on, filled it up burped it and now it runs 195-200 perfect. PHEWW!!

-
Back