stinking water neck driving me crazy

-
One thing I try to do is make sure the water outlet is the same material as the intake it's being bolted to, helps prevent leaks later on from the different expansion rates of the metals (iron vs. aluminum for example). All the other suggestions have been good, I've had success using a gasket and a thin layer of that special grey RTV on both sides of the gasket; put thread sealant on the bolts and make sure they don't bottom out, then tighten it down "half-snug" and wait a couple hours for the RTV to set then torque them down fully.

yup, thats what i did he first time around
im guessing the problem was just the water neck
i got a new one coming in from advance auto tomorrow

on a bright side, i asked the girl at autozone if she wouldnt want to give me a few gallons of anti freeze to make up for what i spilled trying to get this one to seal, and she gave me 2 15 dollar 1 gallon jugs for free

Last edited:
...give me a few gallons of anti freeze to make up for what i spilled trying to get this one to seal, and she gave me 2 30 dollar 1 gallon jugs for free
Do I read that right, they are charging $30 for a gallon of antifreeze? Even the uncut good stuff like Prestone should be well under $20/gal. Autozone brand uncut is advertised for $14.99 here.

Do I read that right, they are charging $30 for a gallon of antifreeze? Even the uncut good stuff like Prestone should be well under $20/gal. Autozone brand uncut is advertised for $14.99 here.

right you are, it say 2 @14.99 and all i saw was $29.98
didnt realize that was for both of em

With or without gasket?

And I let your first comment go unawsnered, since I figured I had that coming after your race announcement
Exactly! LOL thank you! Anyways I usually use the gasket, But just use a lot of right stuff from both sides that stuff is the right stuff to have LOL
I'd consider taking the bolts out and driving it to the store on a bet....

Oh ****....poking the bear.

SNOWMOBILE
You of all people know that he deserve that! he was the one who booger your thread from Post Number 2 LOL
Freaking took two pages to recover and get it back on track! LOL
At least the Op is trying to figure out how to do it himself and get it done right the first time and not write a check to somebody and have what happened to that other guy. Who did you have do yours and what did they tell you they did? Trying to add something to this will ya?

ok, heres the latest
i returned the autozone part and bought one from advance auto (sorry no O'rusty's nearby)
blocked it with sandpaper and wood, also did the intake side

then i grabbed some right stuff, put a little on each side of the gasket and installed her
(i had checked the bolts last time, they snugged up without a gasket or washers, so i know they arent too long)

about 10 minutes later i filled her up and heat cycled her, so far, so good

Thanks AJ, it was one of those "I know how to do this, why isn't it working" deals

That happens often enough with me I stopped telling myself I know how to do things... LOL
J PAR Have u had to take the right stuff cover off since u used it ? used the darn stuff on a main girdle , "once" , was a ***** to get off to check bearings !

-
Back