Stock 318 exhaust reccomendations

-

mrwilson

Reaction score
Have a 74 Dart Swinger with everything stock. It's going to be a daily driver next year for my now 15 yr old son. He wants it to sound good but I'm not looking to change anything on the motor. Any reccomendations on an exhaust to use on the stock 318 to make it sound great?

mufflers, cherry bombs, straight exhaust, or no exhaust

For a stock 318 you don't need much, the stock single exhaust sounds pretty lame. Just run a dual system with a set of turbo mufflers or glasspacks. I run my stock-ish 318 with headers, a dual x pipe set up and glasspacks, I think it sounds good.

You could just get a Summit set up like this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-680144/overview/year/1971/make/dodge/model/dart. Heck its even on sale right now. Just have the local exhaust shop bend up a set of downpipes for the stock manifolds. Or go big and buy a set of headers to go with the exhaust.

The Summit e haist system is nice. True duals. There mufflers are quite t idle and mello at cruise. For a more aggressive sound, choose the Dyno Max Turbo muffler.
Exhaust piping IMO for this particular set up would be 2-1/4.

You'll add a modest amount of power and some mileage.
(Add a MSD for some extra mileage. A basic 6A box will do just fine.)

I agree 2 1/4" duals are about right for a stock 318. And, since your son will want to make some other upgrades down the road like a small 4 barrel and a mild cam, the exhaust is a great starting point.

when i had my 318 in my dart i ran the stock manifolds and stock down pipes then into a 2 1/2 duel system. sounded bad ***. it only cost me 300 with the flow master mufflers.

when i had my 318 in my dart i ran the stock manifolds and stock down pipes then into a 2 1/2 duel system. sounded bad ***. it only cost me 300 with the flow master mufflers.

Exactly what I was wondering if I could do. Thanks for the info.

If the engine is stock, run what your thinking about at 2-1/4 inch pipe.

He's right but the best bang for the buck is the thrush welded muffler that you can get at autozone for about $30 each and they look and sound really good! I used them on my scamp. You wont be disappointed in the quality,sound, and price!:blob:

Thanks folks. This is tons of help!! Trying to put this daily driver together for my son on a budget, but he definately wants to turn some heads with the look and sound. Thanks for the low cost tips.

Drop the car off at a muffler shop and have them throw on a cherry bomb. DONE! cheap!

I just hang up, because I'm facing the same problems...

I ordered these headers...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g9040/overview/make/dodge/year/1974/model/dart

Now, I'm waiting that my car comes out of the paint shop, and my mechanic told me it could be a problem, because often they have problems that the headers come too close to the powersteering.

Anybody that took this headers? Some experiences with this parts?

-
Back