Stock 318 Headpipe pictures (in car)

-

jamesromeos

Reaction score
Looking for some pics of stock manifold dual exhaust head pipes. (off manifolds) still having trouble finding a custom exhaust shop that can make that s with the headpipe around the pass. side tie rod. Do you need to go 2" into 2.25? seems as the clearance is so tight, my guy does not think he can bend it as tight as it needs to be. I dont know anymore.

I believe that I answered your other post and included some pictures of a system that is out of a car. I don't have a lift or any way to get you pictures from at the proper angles that you are looking for.

But I would think that the stock 340 system would be a good guideline for what you are trying to do. My systems are 2 1/4" all the way, without any bottle necks to get through thight spots.

You may also want to let us know if you are running the 90° oil filter adapter or not as that will affect the routing also....

Any good exhaust guy should be able to get one to fit, or have you tried the mail order kits?

I've seen people using larger than 2 1/4 all the way back, I don't think that you should compromise and go down to 2" and restrict your flow because your exhaust guy is not capable of accomplishing this. There are better systems available.

My guy told me that factory 318 manifolds are impossible to put dual exhaust on in an a body. He told me to either buy headers or do a single into a dual out muffler. I actually ended up telling my guy that im all set with him today. Trying an old school shop tomorrow...wish me luck.

Classic Industries has A-body 318 2¼" pipes that would make duals on a > 67 A-body. There is a particular casting or part number manifold that will work listed for each pipe. I was lucky, they matched the manifolds on my Demon.

But I would think that the stock 340 system would be a good guideline for what you are trying to do.

I agree, but the 340 and 318 exhaust manifold sets are not equal.

The 340 exhaust manifolds are larger than the ones used on the 318. IIRC, the drivers' side manifold exits at a different angle on the end. For certain, the stock 318 passenger side manifold exits straight down at the center of the manifold, the 340 exits at approximately a 45º angle not far from the oil filter.

While the 340 exhaust manifolds would be the way to go, when I've seen them available used, they have been pricey. It may be better to go the TTi route, especially if a more powerful LA motor is in the plans for this car.

The 318 that was in my duster had duels on it when I bought it.
Find another exhaust guy.
TTI does make nice pipes for manifolds, also Accurate make them also.

The 318 that was in my duster had duels on it when I bought it.

Thanks for giving me the kick in the head that I needed... ^^^^

To the OP:

Here is the exhaust in my son's 71 Valiant 4 door that came in it when he got it. The engine is not in it, but I have tried to give a top and side view so you can see how it's routed. Maybe without the engine in the way makes it easier to see....

This was a 71 318 with stock exhaust manifolds. I think they should be close to the 68 318 manifolds, or maybe use a set of 71's if they are different...

Hopefully these can help. I'm running out of bones to throw you....

Both pipes from the front:

View attachment Both Pipes A01 B.jpg

Left side pipe:

View attachment Lt Pipe A02 B.jpg

View attachment Lt Pipe A03 B.jpg

Right side pipe:

View attachment Rt Pipe A02 B.jpg

View attachment Rt Pipe A03 B.jpg

It is possible!!!

Just saw your post, just had dual exhaust put on my 65 Dart with factory exhaust manifolds. Took some pics but it's hard to get angle under car, hope they help.
1st pic might be the best, shows how they worked it down
2nd pic kind of hard to see as they worked it over suspension
3rd pic is looking up from directly under
4th pic is looking down from above
This shop is very good, they did a great job. Good luck
2" exhaust

Attachments

• Exh 1.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 174
  • Exh 2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 132
  • Exh 3.jpg