Stock 318's with Four Barrels from the factory?

-
My good buddy randy had a bone stock 1979 dodge aspen (non R/T) that had a factory 318 4bbl that was a thermo quad back in high school. it was stock as the day is long. Until he grenaded the 7.25 out back then sold it... :sad3: He still regrets that move!

Hell yes they did!

I would LOVE to own a 1970-1974 Charger. They are GORGEOUS.

1972-dodge-charger-rt.jpg

The first one is the coupe body based sold in Mexico.

I just added this to my reasons to go to Brazil, just in front of...see Carnival in person! Sweet

The lack of emission laws in Mexico likely made 318 4 barrels possible there.

Aspens and Volares, and other J & M bodies, had a variety of options, including 318 4bbl and 360 2bbl, depending on the years.

FWIW, it surprised me years ago when I saw it, but I bought an OEM hood with scoop and factory holes in it off of a '73 318 Dart Sport (2 bbl) that was being parted out. Light blue with hood and over the roof side stripes in black. I still have it.

Agreed 100%.
I also have a hood (and the car for that matter) off of an identical Dart Sport.
'73 318 2 bbl, yellow, rallye wheels, dual body colored sport mirrors, buckets and a console auto, white up and over stripes, black hood stripe and snorkel scoop.
If they would have made a Dart Sport Sizzler in '73, this would have been it.

If you want to put 318 4 barrel call out on your air cleaner, I think that the pie tins would fit on your air cleaner from the looks of it and somebody makes a 318 four barrel pie tin because I had one on a car I sold awhile back.

They also make 318 Four Barrel stickers just like that 340/ 360 Four Barrel callout.

I did something similar, but the one on the Scamp is a little more subtle.

ScampEnginebeforeteardown_zps6a7aa2e5.jpeg

This has a 318 4-bbl, w/360 heads. But it is an M-body, not an A...

Attachments

• SSCN2689[1].JPG
    36 KB · Views: 199
Notice the shifter on the Mex-Bee is in the center of the console.

I know the Brazilian ones had a locally sourced Eaton made trans that was the same way.

Also note the center caps on the wheels aren't tall enough to clear US spec spindles/ bearings. I wonder about those as well.

Back in the late 90's I was conversing with a guy on the dodgenews site (Brazil) about buying a 73 Charger R/T. Back then a nice one was 10,000R, which was about 5K American. Couldn't find anyone to translate a shipping deal, but considered driving it back.....that would have been REAL fun!

I've also seen gold on South American Mopar engines.

They also make 318 Four Barrel stickers just like that 340/ 360 Four Barrel callout.

I did something similar, but the one on the Scamp is a little more subtle.

ScampEnginebeforeteardown_zps6a7aa2e5.jpeg

Dave,
That motor looks so great in that car! Holy smokes....Makes me remember back when I was a kid and someone popped their hood. Shooting for the same look on our Duster 318 project, definitely going with the truck manifolds too. Our motor is already that sweet corporate blue, just need to get a few coats on the intake.

Attachments

• motor.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 147
I have a stock 78 Aspen wagon 318 4 bbl. I'm pretty sure the air cleaner says Lean Burn on it lol I did get a 318 4 bbl air cleaner decal out of Australia though.

LA 318 4-Barrel {1968 thru 1972}

'Export Cars'

Otherwise it was the LM-318 {Marine Engine} from 1968 and later

LM-318 = 225 HP

Hydraulic Camshaft

Chrysler%20LM%20318%20manual.jpg

I have one of these cool decals on the way from Pentastar Parts in Australia for my stock looking single snorkel air cleaner....
I like it! :burnout:

Attachments

• pie pan decal.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 117
-
Back