Stock 340 cam?

-

340sport

Reaction score
Does anyone make a stock 340 grind camshaft? I'm looking for as close to factory (69) specs as possible. Thanks.

The 4spd grind?

There was (I forgetthe year) a 4spd grind that was different than the currently available OE shaft you can get from MoPar Performance right now.

And ? is it nos, is it for sale:happy7:

It is not NOS. Its in a very clean '69 340 shortblock. I do not have lifters.

I'd sell it cheap if you want to buy it. I'd be a little concerned about using a used flat tappet with new lifters, but a lot of guys do it.

PM if you want.

Thanks,

Steve

Nah that old lazy lift cam should be fine, plus it wasn't made with cheap soft metal.. I don't want it thou, my engine is too nice for any used cam, heck those cams are now over 40 years old, that is freaken old. It might well be OK thou

Here is my 69 340 Dart with a stock cam, I think it sounds great for a stock cam and exhaust..
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv52qtrcMD0"]‪1969 Dodge Dart 340 Bahama Yellow/Butterscotch‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

What cam did you end up putting in the 340?? I believe the Commando 273 which was replaced by the 340 had a 270-280 advertised duration. with a lift of .420/.443 at 112 degree lobe center. And the 340 had 268-276 advertised duration. With a lift of .429/.444 at 114 degree lobe center. Any hoo! Here is a stock replacement part # for 68-73 340 4 BBL replacement camshaft. M77-229-1654. It is also referenced as 71-74 360.

What cam did you end up putting in the 340?? I believe the Commando 273 which was replaced by the 340 had a 270-280 advertised duration. with a lift of .420/.443 at 112 degree lobe center. And the 340 had 268-276 advertised duration. With a lift of .429/.444 at 114 degree lobe center. Any hoo! Here is a stock replacement part # for 68-73 340 4 BBL replacement camshaft. M77-229-1654. It is also referenced as 71-74 360.

I couldn't find spec's on the part #:banghead:

I couldn't find spec's on the part #:banghead:

Also the 273 had a single plain intake and adjustable solid lifters which made for really good top end where as the 340 had a 360 degree intake with hydraulic lifters which made for really good low end. I had a 70 Dodge Dart Swinger 340 edition with the AVS Spread Bore set up that was bone stock except for Headman Headers. It had a 150 speedo in it, thus rally dash and at low altitude it topped out at 135 MPH with the timing set 1 degree after top dead center. That car had to be set like that to avoid ping & detonation because of high compression. 92 octane Union 76 gas back then was the best mixed with Texaco unless you could buy Trick racing fuel. Both the 273 Commando & 340 were high compression engines:burnout:

Also the 273 had a single plain intake and adjustable solid lifters which made for really good top end where as the 340 had a 360 degree intake with hydraulic lifters which made for really good low end. I had a 70 Dodge Dart Swinger 340 edition with the AVS Spread Bore set up that was bone stock except for Headman Headers. It had a 150 speedo in it, thus rally dash and at low altitude it topped out at 135 MPH with the timing set 1 degree after top dead center. That car had to be set like that to avoid ping & detonation because of high compression. 92 octane Union 76 gas back then was the best mixed with Texaco unless you could buy Trick racing fuel. Both the 273 Commando & 340 were high compression engines:burnout:

Also the distributor in my 1970 was contact points, had to dwell them to 32 degrees!

I have a Sealed Power CS644 which is listed as a stock 69 340 cam. They have it at rockauto for $122. It is [email protected] 210int and 220exh with lift .429int and .442exh on a 114 reg Cl. I like it in my 360.

i have one in the box new with lifters from mopar performance... old repo 340 purple cam muscle car cam...p4452782 .430/.444 268/276 overlap 44 114 centerline...if really interested. i might sell it. looking to you a hughes whiplash camshft instead...

360 degree intake with hydraulic lifters which made for really good low end. I had a 70 Dodge Dart Swinger 340 edition with the AVS Spread Bore

Just FYI...A 360* intake IS a single plane intake....180* intake is a dual-plane....

I'd be interested in seeing a pic this "AVS Spread-bore"carb....must be 1 of 1....

The AVS is not a square bore carburetor.

Attachments

• AVS.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,523
The AVS is not a square bore carburetor.

Rob...I don't consider that spread-bore....this is spread-bore...

mopp-1304-05+rebuilding-a-carter-thermoquad-carburetor+primary-throttle-butterfly.jpg

Rob, I agree with 65val. A spreadbore carb is a carb that has two different (vastly) sized butterflies. The slight off set of the AVS' butterflies is a minimal difference and it would be splitting a hair with a hammer.

The AVS/AFB carbs are a squarebore carb.

The TQ, Quadrajet and then that odd Holley quartet are spreadbores.

No, yall have your terms mixed up. The AVS is not a square bore carburetor. It's a spread bore. It is however a square FLANGE carburetor. Although it it's secondaries are larger, which does make it a spread BORE, the positioning of the bores allows it to mount to a square FLANGE intake manifold. The definition of a spread bore carburetor is one whose secondary barrels are larger than the primary barrels. The AVS certainly meets that definition.

A revived two year old camshaft thread morphed into a disagreement about carbs...

Well done! :cheers:

Have a good Memorial day :D

-
Back