Stock 360 crank is good to what HP?

-

dusted72

Thanks Hemiroid!!!!
Reaction score
I know there are alot of variables but theoretically what can a stock 360 crank hold HP wise? I was trying to build a 360 on paper and was trying to decide if I needed to buy another crank. DON'T WANT TO GO STROKER. I was originally thinking I wanted to build a stroker with 500+ hp but my truck came with 250 from the factory and I was thinking anything over 400 would probably do me good enough for daily driving/weekend racer.

All depends on the machining of the block and crank and weight of the parts. If it's blueprinted, and internally balanced, it can take more abuse than something that wasn't. In a truck I'd be more concerned with towing and torque production. My truck doesnt rev over 4500 if I'm being rough, and not over 3200 driving normally. I'm fairly sure if you stay in the "500/500" limits you'd be fine.

360s never came with steel cranks right? I wonder the strength difference in let's say, a 273 crank. The journals are smaller, so is its stroke, but its also steel.

the stock rods on a 360 can handle tremendous abuse 500 hp no problem
make sure you replace rod bolt

There was an article awhile back where they took a 360 & bored it, used a cast crank & played with it till they couldn't get much more out of it, they were surprized at what it ended up dishing out, now they played around with this engine for awhile little by little. In the end it pushed around 622 HP & well over 500 ft. lb. torque, It had a wild *** cam in it, close to .700 lift., think it was a solid, but could have been roller, W9 heads, Twin Mighty demon 750s, 13 or 14.1 compression, I think the headers were custom at 2" , this was on a factory cast crank, VG rods, Diamond pistons, studed, custon oiling, the best of the best, The funny thing is in the beginning it pumped out like 370 HP with mild stuff & they just went crazy with it over time.

360s never came with steel cranks right? I wonder the strength difference in let's say, a 273 crank. The journals are smaller, so is its stroke, but its also steel.

Steel? Yes, type of steel or better yet, how it was made is a different story.

Cast or forged. Crank and rod opinions below.

A well machined etc.. Like Moper said, set up, cast crank, will be just fine under 500 HP & Tq. While you could actually exceed this a bit, the parts involved start falling under a lot of stress. IMO, while it could be a great bracket engine for a time, I would not recommend such a power level for every day usage and abuse.

Even if it were only used on weekends, and or in addition to once or twice a week to shows etc... The high out put engines aren't the most happiest thing to drive and live long under "Calm" conditions. At that 500 HP level, even a slow cruise is a high stress ordeal for the engine.

It may live a long time, but, IMO, it's the whole combo of things that would have me shy away from such builds and heavy abusive usage's like that slow cruise and then drag race the street back to a slow cruise for a burger, etc....

IMO, if your gonna step up to the plate for some getting serious on HP level power output's, do like wise on parts.

-
Back