stock 5.2 magnum power

-

ValerianMagnum

the little car that could
Reaction score
Looking to swap a bone stock 96 318 magnum and put a air gap dual plane intake and a holley 600 cfm and headers , wondering if this thing can achieve 350 hp and 400 tq , did you guys ad similar build ups ?

I did just that with a 5.9. I figure we'll both add approx. 30HP. I really do not see a whole lot to add.

650 AVS w/the OE trap door air cleaner.
Edel. RPM
Hooker Super Comp headers
2-1/2 exhaust from Summit
(It did not fit the '79 B body. Not even close. Listed for the headers I have but I assure you, they are for the standard 1 size fits all header we all hate.)
Dyno Max V/T mufflers.
(Figured is give them a shot since I know what the Summit mufflers sound like. No other reason. Got to explore! )
Vacuum advance distributor fired by a MP Chrome box.
I'll cam it later.

A temporary A/C deleate.

727/3.55-245/60/15's

I have not driven it yet due to brake lines I am awaiting.

It is a larger cam........

I'm not sure what I'll do for a cam later. I had some very good people Referance there cam., but I'm not just sure yet. I put a 2200 stall in the 727.

yes the 5.2 cam is more aggressive than the one in the 5.9 , thinking about 2 800 stall and 3.23 gears , a good cruiser ,not a race car for this one , i have enough with my other duster and the cuda !

Your not going to make 350 with the stock cam unless you hit it with NOS. It'll take a pretty big upgrade on the cam to make 350. The 360 mag has more cubes and only makes about 300 hp in stock form when converted to a carb. With headers and good or open exhaust, the right intake and carb and the timing dialed in you might make 350 hp with stock heads but your gonna give up a lot of low end torque doing it. I'm not bashing 318's but IMO if you want that much hp and keep it streetable do a 360. You'll make your mark easier with less cam so it'll have a lot more torque which is what you need in a street car. 300-320 hp is a more realistic # for a 318 if you truly want it to be streetable

300 maybe. Probably 275. Why does HP really matter on the street? It will probably have 325 LB FT. That will be snappy.

300 maybe. Probably 275. Why does HP really matter on the street? It will probably have 325 LB FT. That will be snappy.

This x2 .... I would do a set of long tubes, & a curved distributor.(34 total @2800-3000, 14-18 initial, with a good curve kit. Probably make more useable torque , with a Thermonuclear Quad here(J.M.O.) If going long tube headers, mock up on engine stand. (Truck engine bosses may hit, grind away.)

Might be an issue with a TQ. An adapter would be needed unless it is a M1 single being used. Not a great idea IMO to use that intake at this stage.
IMO a simple 650 AVS styled Edelbrock or a 600/650 Holley VS.

A small cam would be a great way to improve power. Under [email protected] would be good. You'll retain good mileage.

Might be an issue with a TQ. An adapter would be needed unless it is a M1 single being used. Not a great idea IMO to use that intake at this stage.
IMO a simple 650 AVS styled Edelbrock or a 600/650 Holley VS.

A small cam would be a great way to improve power. Under [email protected] would be good. You'll retain good mileage.

Good points, Rob. the 204/208 Magnum smog legal grind, would rock here. I would give Oregon Cams,a call here. 1110 Hughes springs & retainers to match, please.

yes the 5.2 cam is more aggressive than the one in the 5.9 , thinking about 2 800 stall and 3.23 gears , a good cruiser ,not a race car for this one , i have enough with my other duster and the cuda !

Stay close to a 2000 or less stall and use the 3.23 gear.

You did say cruiser.....

Also the above post from Abomber. While I myself would use more cam and stall. As mentioned above in my posts. I'm just down to a cam.

-
Back