Stock a/c to sanden compressor?

-

SirDan

Reaction score
I've got a full 73 small block A/c setup that was in my car and not working. the stock compressor is huge. I was thinking of going to the sanden compressor. bouchillion has a bracket for 86 bucks. http://bouchillonperformance.com/BPE4725.asp

The more i look at it the more I am thinking it would be a piece of cake to make... leaning towards making it. What about the sanden compressor? Is there one like the one bouchillion sells but cheaper?

What else would I need to change to make it work? I would assume lines need to be changed and r134 o rings. What about the condensor and dryer? Can i keep my factory evaporator?

I know there are "kits" out there but I am on a budget and know it can be done for a lot cheaper.

Use the model number on the Bouchillon website, then eBay search that model number. I found a few for about $165 shipped IIRC...I was thinking about doing the exact same thing, but I have so many other projects rolling right now, so the Plymouth will have to cool it's heels for a minute. I figure the custom dash and $300 worth of gages is enough for the time being. :)

If you buy that new compressor, you'd just about have to make some new lines...not sure how much that would cost, but if you hook up with a local A/C shop, they could probably make the lines for about $120-$180, and they'd come with the correct R134a seals. The drier should be ok unless it's all gunked up inside-same goes for the condensor. The evap core is also perfectly fine to use as long as it doesn't leak and it was in working condition beforehand...just clean it all out with brake cleaner and compressed air before reassembling the hoses.

I read through the instructions on the Bouchillon website a few times...that's what they recommended. If you work that direction, put your progress up.

I was stupid and yanked all my factory a/c parts under the hood, except for the compressor...so I'll wind up buying the condensor kit from BP...

I have a 5.9 Magnum in my car, and the PO yanked all the underhood A/C stuff. Could I use the late-model Ram components (Evaporator, drier, etc) for an easy interface with my motor and accessories?

As long as the hoses can be made to mate up, I'm pretty sure the drier will work just fine. Your evap core, as long as it doesn't leak, will work (Bouchillon kits utilize the stock one). The condensor core might work in your car, but you might have to do some fabbing to make it fit. As long as you can get the compressor mounted, it's more a matter of making hoses that fit the car. And swapping to a sanden (axial piston type) compressor requires the use of a clutch cylcing switch...York style compressors don't require it, but the newer styles have to operate at a slightly diminished duty cycle by comparison to extend compressor life.

Hope that answered your question...

If the drier has been exposed to the atmosphere for more than 24 hours it should be replaced.

And swapping to a sanden (axial piston type) compressor requires the use of a clutch cylcing switch...York style compressors don't require it, but the newer styles have to operate at a slightly diminished duty cycle by comparison to extend compressor life.
Great info. First I heard of that, so I started reading up on a "clutch cycling switch". It appears there are different types, some measure pressure on the suction of the compressor, and others are a temperature sensor.

I got two new Sanden compressors off ebay, both <$100. You must be smart enough to shop during the winter. One is the "shorty" used by Bouchillon. I was thinking of their brackets for my 273. I do have the alum water pump, but my 65 crank pulley may not align. I took a bracket off a 318 in the junkyard that looks like it will fit the front of the Sanden, which should get me mostly there. Not my priority this summer.

Vintage Air makes a kit with compressor and hoses if your interested. Summitt also sells chromed or polished compressors.

Don't know if the V8 is similar, but I used the stock slant six compressor bracket and made two C-shaped adapters to mount the Sanden. About twenty-five cents worth of 1/8" steel and two hours work.

-
Back