Stock Distributor and Coil?

-

domdart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm putting a 1972 340 in my 68 Dart. The rebuild included 10.5 to 1 pistons 30 over, 2.02 valves ported and polished, and a new cam. The motor already had a forged crank. I have an air gap intake and Doug's Headers. Is my rebuilt stock electronic distributor and stock coil okay for this? The car is a 4 speed. It will be a weekend driver used on the street only. This is my first project, I'm learning as I go. Thanks for any advice.

Just like all the other stock ignition Mopars out there, it'll run but it could run better.

I would use the MSD ballast resistor it's a nice heavy duty unit and it's .8 ohms so it will give more juice to the coil and plugs. As long as your ecu is a stock or good part store replacement it should be fine. May have to recurve your distributor to get the most out of it

If wiring from scratch, it would be a bit easier to use a GM 8-pin HEI module w/ the GM coil & cable that goes with it. That would give a slightly stronger spark and you can toss your ballast. Many posts on that. TrailBeast (above) sells a kit w/ new parts if you can hit a junkyard (85-95 GM V-8).

I would use an HEI and DEFINATELY recurve your distributor. This used to be done by welding up the advance slots and using weaker springs.

FBO has a spring and plate kit that makes it easy.

-
Back