Stock rocker valve spring limits

-

smlveightis

Confused in Confusion
Reaction score
I was wondering what valve spring could the stock LA rocker arms handle (hydraulic flat tappet). Cam lift specs .507 int, .494 exh. Spring recommended is Comp #995-16. 1.437" o.d., seat load 115 @ 1.700", open load 336 @ 1.150". Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Steve~a.k.a. smlveightis

Hi Steve, surprized no one else has chimed in yet. I'll just say i've run high .4" hydraulics with stock replacement springs and never had a issue. I ran some solids a little bigger but used 273 adj. cast rockers. It's been a while, but with the agressive ramp cams of today and that open pressure i think your borderline. Might be ok for a while but wonder about fatigue on the pushrod cups? Hopefully some more members will post here.

They won't live with the springs you listed. Those are the springs I had on my old 360 and it ate the rockers up within 8000 miles. I had no idea they were that bad until I had it ready to sell to a guy and he was planning on putting in a smaller cam and wanted me to put lighter springs on it. When I took the rockers off 6 of them were so bad the valves were just ready to break through.

Aggressive springs.I was thinking somewhere around 280 to 300 ,more than enough.My solids on a big block chevy solid went [email protected] with a 1.73 rocker.

Much appreciated advice guys, thanks! Kinda thought I'd be pushing the envelope with the stock stamped rocker arms, just needed some reassurance from my fabo family. Again thanks to those who replied, and your "thanks" buttons have been pushed.

-
Back