Stock sb rocker arm ratio ?

-

jimmer

Reaction score
What is the easiest way to tell what ratio that my stock small block rocker arms really are ? I know mopar syas they are 1.5 ? I have heard they really very to as low as 1.3 ? I have a 292/509 cam in the 360, I don't really want to open my wallet for roller rockers. I do know many people have run the stock rockers with know problems. This does include me. I have used a 292/509 and a 284/484 cam both in 340's with no issues. I just want to make sure the ratio is good to get the most out of the lift. Thanks :violent1: :-k :burnout:

Dial indicator on the rocker tip with a known good and new cam.

put a set of 1.6 rockers on it...then you will be all that you can be....

stock non adjustable rockers usually hit around 1.45..plus you have the lift loss due to the lousey pushrod angle..

JMO, but if you don't want to spring for the price of roller rockers, why are you worrying about what the stock ones are? Your stuck with what you've got unless you buy a set of rollers. If it's a budget build, & there's nothing wrong with that at all, you cant look to chase every bit of hp out of it. Just run the stock ones & then if budget permits later add the rollers. Easy enough to upgrade. We have all been there during a build on a tight budget where you gotta decide what to spend where. Not trying to be a jerk here, just offering another way to think about it.

If you want to make an omelet, you gotta break the eggs!..

Not trying to be a jerk lonewolf ? No wonder you call yourself lonewolf . J/k Well I have like 3 different sets of stock rocker arms from what I have been told they very . So if I can check them I will use the set with the most ratio. That is why I ask. I have used the same cam in a different 340 and it worked well with stock rockers.

Not trying to be a jerk lonewolf ? No wonder you call yourself lonewolf . J/k Well I have like 3 different sets of stock rocker arms from what I have been told they very . So if I can check them I will use the set with the most ratio. That is why I ask. I have used the same cam in a different 340 and it worked well with stock rockers.
Sorry, didn't know you had multiple sets to choose from.
Sometimes it's hard to express ideas here in the internet & not sound critical. I don't mean to come off that way. But you may spend a lot of time checking the stock rockers to find out that they vary even among the same set, especially if they are the stamped non adjustable ones. In the end it may not really have that great of an effect on the performance anyway. Good luck. I hope that you enjoy how it runs no matter which way you go.

the rocker ratio will vary within a set as the production tolerance vary also...only way to know..is the mock up and check EACH rocker...

Production Parts, are just that....but Mass Production.

My MP Engines Book....says that with Production Parts.....Standard Production Rockers are low quality and made to survive "normal duty".....For High Perormance use, MP recommends P4529742 Rocker Arm Kit,....each rocker has thicker cross sectional material where the pushrod socket contacts the pushrod for added durability....with Cam Profiles with max lift over .480", use the appropriate Valvespring (single spring with dampner), Locks and retainers, and order their set of adjustable HYD pushrods...PN P4286808

and use Grade 8 or better Rocker Shaft Hold Down bolts....and Chrome Hardened Rocker Shafts,
For High Performance, Circle Track and Drag Race PN P5249091

There really is a difference in the thickness of the rocker shafts...and I never realized the production rocker shafts could "flex" under extreme pressure.

its funny how in the end of "pepping up" a set of production parts....that all of a sudden it takes $1000 to "do it right".

BUT....There surely is a difference in a MP Perfromance SPEC built engine, and a everyday 318 with a edelbrock
1406/performer intake on it.

-
Back