Stock valve guide size X heads

-

This Bad Demon

Reaction score
Good day to all. I have a 360 engine with stock X heads. My valve springs are getting weak and I'm planning to replace them. I have dual springs on it that matches the roller cam setup. I was wondering what is the valve guide size. It's been years since I've had the engine built and having difficulty contacting the engine builder. My car is in The Bahamas and I'm trying to order the right parts before I go to fix it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Valve stem size or guide boss size? Are you sure the guide boss hasn’t been machined for the springs that are currently on it? What cam? Post as much info you have about what it currently has. You might get in a bind using a stock guide boss dimension to get a spring. It ran fine before, ask what spring the cam manufacturer recommends.

Are you sure the guide boss hasn’t been machined for the springs that are currently on it? What cam? Post as much info you have about what it currently has. You might get in a bind using a stock guide boss dimension to get a spring. It ran fine before, ask what spring the cam manufacturer recommends.
The engine was rebuilt years ago. It's running fine just the valve springs getting weak. I know the guides had to be machined for the dual spring setup. It has a Hughes engine retro fit roller cam setup. I was looking for the valve guide size to order the correct valve stem seals. I may have to wait until I get there and measure them. As far as I can remember it's the stock size valve guides in there. I'm not looking to change them.

It's a 69 xhead. I have 3/8 size valves.... was looking for the valve guide size to order the correct valve stem seal... Example when I'm looking at valve stem seals they offer .500 or .530.....

Hi, kinda figured that.
The guides coulda been machined for either seal, prob. but not nec the .500, but unknown.
Take both, return what you don't use.

Hi, kinda figured that.
The guides coulda been machined for either seal, prob. but not nec the .500, but unknown.
Take both, return what you don't use.
Thanks I appreciate the help... That sounds like my best option.... I hate coming on asking questions and sounding vague but honestly the engine was rebuilt like 10 yrs ago.... The engine builder I'm waiting for him to call and see if he has records from that far back....lol.

I'm not sure the same seal fits both valve stem sizes.
When 11/32 guide wore out, lotta folks moved up to 3/8, was a natural, no new guide needed.
So it's conceivable you need 2 valve stem size seals and 2 seal guide sizes.
Possibly 4 diff seals.
You need to look a little further to see if seal fits both stems diams.
Lotta knowledge here , someone may know .
Good luck

When 11/32 guide wore out, lotta folks moved up to 3/8, was a natural, no new guide needed.
Possibly 4 diff seals.
Good luck
Yea I do remember the guy I bought them from had everything replaced beforehand. I'm waiting on the engine builder to call me so I can see if he remembers more details....

I think you may need my help. So if you pay for my plane ticket I'll fly down there with you and give you a hand. But it would probably take us at least a week or maybe two to get it done correctly so you could rent a house or maybe you have a house or a really nice place that we can spend those two weeks.

PS, if you have a really nice sailboat we could possibly spend a day or two sailing while the silicone is drying on the intake manifold.

Last edited:
Possibly 4 diff seals.
Good luck
What Mopar La head had an 11/32 valve stem from the factory? Or big Blockhead for that matter?

What Mopar La head had an 11/32 valve stem from the factory? Or big Blockhead for that matter?

You continue to demonstrate your ignorance and stupidity.
My 69 340 from the factory for one, idiot.
Try Google or Bing before shooting your mouth off.

Last edited:
I think you may need my help. So if you pay for my plane ticket I'll fly down there with you and give you a hand. But it would probably take us at least a week or maybe two to get it done correctly so you could rent a house or maybe you have a house or a really nice place that we can spend those two weeks.

PS, if you have a really nice sailboat we could possibly spend a day or two sailing while the silicone is drying on the intake manifold.
Sounds like a plan.... Jus bring ya fishing rod....lol

I love it. Wish I’d have thought of that myself.

Well . .
After looking in my fsm, scouring the internet, then walked to my shop and checked my valve grind pilots, I came back up to the house , kicking my ***, ears burning, - phone my machinist pal and told him this story, and asked if Mopar ever had 11/32 valve stems?
He laughed his *** off, - told me I was the "idiot", among other things (apology to Jaba),
and reminded me that 11/32 is the Chubby stem size, (which I had realized after looking at my pilots).

sincerest apology to all.

@This Bad Demon, apology, pls disregard my 11/32 error, good luck.

I am going to go and choke down some humble pie my wife has eagerly prepared for me .
Cheers

Well . .
After looking in my fsm, scouring the internet, then walked to my shop and checked my valve grind pilots, I came back up to the house , kicking my ***, ears burning, - phone my machinist pal and told him this story, and asked if Mopar ever had 11/32 valve stems?
He laughed his *** off, - told me I was the "idiot", among other things (apology to Jaba),
and reminded me that 11/32 is the Chubby stem size, (which I had realized after looking at my pilots).

sincerest apology to all.

@This Bad Demon, apology, pls disregard my 11/32 error, good luck.

I am going to go and choke down some humble pie my wife has eagerly prepared for me .
Cheers
Gotta appreciate a man who owns his mistakes.... But we still gotta give a little ****... You were a little hard on Jadaharabi....

11/32 is the Chubby stem size, (which I had realized after looking at my pilots).
For a point of clarifiction, some Big Block Chubbys have 3/8 valve stems. I have one that does about 100 feet from me.

You continue to demonstrate your ignorance and stupidity.
My 69 340 from the factory for one, idiot.
Try Google or Bing before shooting your mouth off.

[/URL][/URL]
Your 340 DID NOT come from the factory with 11/32 valve stems.
You are an idiot.
I'm sorry but I
did not realize that we had a history. And as far as that goes I could care less if I'm on your ignore list. I have forgotten more Mopar than you will ever know.

Now excuse me I have to go get my fishing rod ready to travel.

Last edited:
As they come from the factory, SB Mopar heads have guide bosses with a nominal OD of .625”, and the guide bores are for valves with 3/8” stems.

After they have been thru the machine shop, and been set up with aftermarket parts to facilitate the use of a bigger cam……..who knows what the configuration is?
If it’s not noted in the paperwork, someone will have to check and see what was done.

Your 340 DID NOT come from the factory with 11/32 valve stems.
You are an idiot.
I'm sorry but I
did not realize that we had a history. And as far as that goes I could care less if I'm on your ignore list. I have forgotten more Mopar than you will ever know.

Now excuse me I have to go get my fishing rod ready to travel.
Im glad you called him an idiot...there are people on here commenting on 340s that have never been in the same room with one...:)

-
Back