Stock valves in iron heads question

-

80fbody

Reaction score
Have a pair of 346's that were home ported years ago & have been on a buddy's shelf. The valve job is/was fresh. They still have the stock 2.08 valves though. I'm already going to have the seats & guides cut for dual springs as I'm running a small solid roller (.555). I really don't want to dump $500 into a set of heads that aren't even mine.

Is there anything wrong with using stock valves on my new 451 shortblock for a season or two? Trying to get the Dart going on a budget.

I wouldn't think so. You might be leaving some power on the table, but it'll still run...

Guess one of my main concerns is "stock" valve failure. Going to run aftermarket lock/retainers. Certainly don't want to ruin my new short block.

Get a set of the cheaper stainless performance valves. They'll last just fine. I don't think I'd want stock used valves in them and something with a back cut will only help them work. Were the factory valves re-used or a new set installed?

Your stock valves will turn 5500 rpms all day long. Remember you want air speed. Bigger valves slow down air speed until you start getting up in the higher rpms. You'll have a much torquey engine with stock valves throughout the rpm range. So you lose 20 HP on the top. I vote to run them as is. Tom

When you say "Small Mechanical Roller".... just what kind of Valve Spring Installed Seat Pressure & Spring Rates are called for by the Cam Card ?
remember,
Valve "Bounce" on the seat is caused by insufficient Valve Spring Pressure or Rate to keep up with the Cam.... is what knocks the Valve "Head" off the Valve "Stem" on a 2 pc stock Valve.
With sufficient Valve Spring for the Cam.... even the cheapest Valves will live.

-
Back