Stock wiring wrong or MSD? Video inside.

-

Shainesboostin

Reaction score
Ok, so on my ballast, there are 3 wires. 2 tit'd together, and 1 that runs to the positive on the coil and is tied into a wire going into the voltage regulator.

I was told to ditch that wire, and the 2 tied together feed the red wire on the msd. But I don't have power at those in the run position, however 1 have power at the single wire.

20161015_144318.jpg

1478135101220679243019.jpg

14781351493251334898079.jpg

14781351824561859246898.jpg

Last edited:
well that wiring looks lie a disaster area.. you need to find the "start" and the "run" wires. follow it back with a meter and see what you have where and go from there..

did this car run before you touched it? if so i suggest you put it back and take pics to show us what was what and go from there..

what ign system are you changing from?

Last edited:
Car has points dizzy. Runs good. The pics above are how it was wired. From the ballast...the single blue wire runs to the voltage regulator (tied in) then to the positive coil. The blue and brown wire are together factory. I cut those to find power at run and crank. However, only the brown one gave me power while crankingand the single wire as mentioned above going to the ballast then coil has power in run. so, I believe those need tied together, but then I'll be left over with the blue wire running to the alt.

Drew a pic below. As you see, I found the 2 wires needed, however seems different than others instal, and I'm not sure what to do with the think blue wire since the ballast will be gone with the msd. The small wire and brown will go to the MSD red...

14781720218341613672834.jpg

The blue on mine goes to the alt , ballast, vr, thru the bh to the ign and brake switch (stock wiring other than MAD).

Drew a pic below. As you see, I found the 2 wires needed, however seems different than others instal, and I'm not sure what to do with the think blue wire since the ballast will be gone with the msd. The small wire and brown will go to the MSD red...

View attachment 1714985666

to me there is a wire missing... the "start" wire should be on the dist side of the ballast with a wire going to the coil.. the "run" wire should be on the opposite side of the ballast so that the power goes through the ballast and to the coil while the car is running. probably has the VR wire on that side also..

Hmm, wonder if I just tie all 3 together?

thats what need to be done.. put the start,run and vr wires together then add a 4th wire in that connection and run it to the 12v key power spot on the msd. thats how i did it for my msd RTR dist..

Last edited:

looks like the:

brown from the bulkhead is "start" power..

dark blue from the bulk head is the "run" wire and ties into the VR.

ign.JPG

no need to at this point.. it will work fine as is if you wire it correctly. personally i think you are over thinking it.

Hook the three wires at the ballast together, run 1 wire off it to the small red wire on MSD box. Done!

Or do EXACTLY what the instructions say. Grab the hot wire at coil + and attach to small red wire. I think the coil + wire should be dark blue if OEM

no need to at this point.. it will work fine as is if you wire it correctly. personally i think you are over thinking it.

Yep, it's not that hard if you follow the MSD schematic.

Last edited:
Hook the three wires at the ballast together, run 1 wire off it to the small red wire on MSD box. Done!

Or do EXACTLY what the instructions say. Grab the hot wire at coil + and attach to small red wire. I think the coil + wire should be dark blue if OEM

Yep, it's not that hard if you follow the MSD schematic.

It is when the wiring isn't correct.

Ok, so on my ballast, there are 3 wires. 2 tit'd together, and 1 that runs to the positive on the coil and is tied into a wire going into the voltage regulator.

I was told to ditch that wire, and the 2 tied together feed the red wire on the msd. But I don't have power at those in the run position, however 1 have power at the single wire.

View attachment 1714985592

View attachment 1714985593

View attachment 1714985594

View attachment 1714985595

I just did mine. Got rid of the dual ballast resistor. Take a tester and test those wires. One should be live with the key on and the other with the key off. Those are the start and run wires. All you need to do is tie them together and run the red wire from the msd box to them. What happens is when you turn the key to start, the voltage comes thru the ignition switch to the starter relay and closes the relay to send direct battery power down to the starter. When the car actually starts and yolu release the key to allow it to spring back, that engages the run circuit which will now pull power thru that constant wire to keep the car running.

I just did mine. Got rid of the dual ballast resistor. Take a tester and test those wires. One should be live with the key on and the other with the key off. Those are the start and run wires. All you need to do is tie them together and run the red wire from the msd box to them. What happens is when you turn the key to start, the voltage comes thru the ignition switch to the starter relay and closes the relay to send direct battery power down to the starter. When the car actually starts and yolu release the key to allow it to spring back, that engages the run circuit which will now pull power thru that constant wire to keep the car running.

I understand that. I have three wires. The single blue wire you see is live with key in run, then, the brown wire that's tied together with the other blue wire is live while cranking. So, those need tied together to the red on msd. But then, I still have that 3rd blue wire not wired to anything...

-
Back