stocking a pond

-
first one of the season
caught her on a worm of all thing

20200606_113255.jpg

20200606_113259.jpg

I cannot count the number of times I have caught all kinds of fish on a simple white jig and crawler

pulled this one out today
pretty exciting, I think it is a yearling, so that tells me they had a litter last year already

that's a good sign, right

20200607_141146.jpg

yes that is a yearling and they have spawn. Just start keeping those to so they won't get over populated. They need bream to feed on.

If you start tagging them, you can get an idea of the population size.

that might be more trouble then it's worth...hut would be cool to know

I know at least 3 of the 25 I put in 2 years ago are there and thriving

His little belly looks nice and round so he's feeding well.

Sometimes wading birds can carry visitors in the form of eggs attached to their legs. Also we used to add minnows to our pond for feed til we found out they were dip netted from the shallows and could include a multitude of assorted fry. All it takes is one pike added to my pond by mistake and the balance is destroyed.

think i mentioned this before, but i got a little pond in the back yard
according to google (how cool is it you can measure stuff with their satellite view?)

anyway, it comes down to 9000 square feet, about 0.20 acres
best i can tell there is one real good catfish in there, one koi, some perch and a way way way too many bluegill
i mean, tiny little bluegill, that dont grow because they crowd themselves out

so, i just put in an order for 25 largemouth bass, 25 channel cats and 2 pounds of minnows

im pretty excited to get these (will be around the middle of may)

you guys have any experience with this?
Bye bye little blue gill

Bye bye little blue gill

well, its been about 3 years since i added the bass and catfish and the bluegills are still out in full force
so, im guessing i hit a good balance between prey and predator fish

Wow thats a nice crappie

thanks

i know he was in there, since a few years ago my preacher caught it
but this was the first time i got to catch it myself

to the best of my knowledge, that is the only crappie in there

well, its been about 3 years since i added the bass and catfish and the bluegills are still out in full force
so, im guessing i hit a good balance between prey and predator fish

thanks

i know he was in there, since a few years ago my preacher caught it
but this was the first time i got to catch it myself

to the best of my knowledge, that is the only crappie in there
Oh yeah I guess you do have a good balance & that crappie is definitely a blessing

Pulled out of the family pond in SEMO. Going up there this weekend to catch me a mess. The pond is about 2 acres and 15ft deep. Has some bass too. The cats are are about 5lbs now. They probably need to get some one in to harvest them.

BF1E30B4-A295-400C-930B-FB95D790433F.jpeg

Check out what the little lady pulled out of the pond today

I'm not sure if it's one of the ones I put in there or one of thier offspring

IMG-20210524-WA0005.jpg

Sometimes wading birds can carry visitors in the form of eggs attached to their legs. Also we used to add minnows to our pond for feed til we found out they were dip netted from the shallows and could include a multitude of assorted fry. All it takes is one pike added to my pond by mistake and the balance is destroyed.
We have bluegill and pumpkinseed, neither of which were stocked. Yes, birds can bring presents.

Bas are doing well

(I also caught one of the cats today, but she wasn't very photogenic)

20210603_204214.jpg

The cats are getting pretty big. Does anybody know of a company that harvest catfish in South east Missouri. They need to thin out the heard before the hot summer time.

891A7DFE-C2AB-4503-85A8-17C150F345A0.jpeg

-
Back