stocking a pond

-
I have a pond about the same size I have Small Mouth, sunnies and minnows, not into the catfish freaks out the wife when they suck on her toes. Seems to balance out just usually have to add a few pounds of minnows in the spring. If you get to much alge trow a bale of barley straw in it controls it pretty well also.

If I had a bobcat, I'd have a pond. lol

BTW just out of sight on the left is a life ring on a rope. Don't leave home without it.

well, we had some friends over today and the kids were out there for the better part of three hours
between the fishing (rods and nets) and the fire place they kept themselves plenty busy

but i cant wait for them to get something better then minnows out of there
(on a side note, i got a picture floating around of a kid from church, think he was 4 or 5, who caught his first fish out of there...talk about beaming)

We are on a 60 yr old pond. We have primarily bluegills and bass. The DNR came out once aND told us a few things. Do not put in crappies. They will eat up everything and you will end up with only small hungry crappies. Catch and keep all the blue gills you catch. They need to be taken to control their numbers.If you have too many weeds put in a few sterile grass carp. We put in 8 in our 1 acre pond and they have done a wonderful job without the need for any chemicals. Ponds are great.

I don't think I'm allowed to have grasscarp here in michigan

Pulled out about 20 Blue gill yesterday.

282DEF5E-C740-423F-9B90-0F15195D73AB.jpeg

Best bait I've found for blue gill is KFC skin. Barely hits the water.

Nope. Fellow Michigander.

i was basing it on the disclaimer on arkansas pondstockers website which says "Notice: Grass carp are not available in Indiana, Louisiana, Michigan, and Texas"

(also found this article Grass Carp are illegal to use as aquatic plant control in Michigan ponds and lakes )
iether way, im not worried about weeds
there is a sort of bloom on top of the water for a week or two in the spring and then the surface clear up real nice on its own
im sure there is some vegetation under water, but that might be nice for the fishems to hide in once those bass show up

i wonder if all of our florida members cant chip in and send RRR their obsolete snow shovels?
he could use that to dig a pond

So, I Think I may have been wrong, when I said there wasn't any bass in there yet

I pulled this one out half an hour ago
I had actually caught a small bluegill, and as I was reeling it in, she hit it

I had my boy net her, so he counts that as half his fish

She measured 18 inches
(I just hope she didn't eat all the bass I put in last month)

20180609_175506.jpg

So, I Think I may have been wrong, when I said there wasn't any bass in there yet

I pulled this one out half an hour ago
I had actually caught a small bluegill, and as I was reeling it in, she hit it

I had my boy net her, so he counts that as half his fish

She measured 18 inches
(I just hope she didn't eat all the bass I put in last month)

View attachment 1715185657
That’s a nice smallmouth!

When you get a pond stocked with Bass here in Florida, you must first fill it with Bluegill first. They wont stock the Bass w/o them for obvious reasons.
You've already got that beat with the great supply of Bluegill.
We have a pond in front of my storage Garage in Sanford, Fl. 3 years ago it was holding 11 lb Bass. I know cuz I put them there. Every fishing venture was greeted with at least 5-6 medium size Bass. It was truly a Bass fishing Nirvana having a great pond like this full of healthy, vibrant Bass right in front of your shop.
But some low life POS decided to pollute the pond and killed everything. The thing turned to split peas soup. And we had to endure 3 weeks of rotted fish on the shoreline (including those prized 11 pounders). The Turtles all survived, but now they're all blind.
A year ago, the pond was coming back and the Bass were surprisingly returning from a small tributary that feeds into it.
But unfortunately, the same POS decided to poison it again, once he saw we were back to catching Bass.

-
Back