Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Good morning cable handlers! Those (+) ends really take a beating from jumper cables. A lot of times the neg clamp went somewhere else. So (-) side tend be a little less beat up. Of course the neg terminal gets taken off more when working on the car -so that can add up too. I think at the time, best price I found on a repop Positive cable was $140 and it was not even 100% correct. Sooooo, -mine has a bolt on replacement end for the foreseeable future.

Good morning cable handlers! Those (+) ends really take a beating from jumper cables. A lot of times the neg clamp went somewhere else. So (-) side tend be a little less beat up. Of course the neg terminal gets taken off more when working on the car -so that can add up too. I think at the time, best price I found on a repop Positive cable was $140 and it was not even 100% correct. Sooooo, -mine has a bolt on replacement end for the foreseeable future.
I have thought before at how relatively simple a cable end mold would be and how easy lead is to melt and pour. Just thinking out loud here.

Morning all, cable talk in the house I see. Last nice day here again, rain snow mix tomorrow.

Hey men, just got back from Lompoc. The annual "drive my brothers office trailer to Lompoc" event.

So ya did The Hitchin' Post in Buellton for dinner last night?
After driving from my house in Vista, drive to Phoenix, pick up his office, leave at midnight, drive to Lompoc, then have to drive home in one sitting, dinner was Wendys! That trailer is 40 feet long and weight 18K. over 13.5 feet tall with the satellite on top. Folds up.

Yeah. He owes ya a Hitchin Post visit :lol:9 hours Phx to the Poc. 3 1/2 back to O'side.
Not in traffic. 12 hours to Lompoc, the freakin wind thru the San Gorgonio pass was so strong, cross head wind, had to slow down to 50. All the way to Banning.
6 hours home.

I have thought before at how relatively simple a cable end mold would be and how easy lead is to melt and pour. Just thinking out loud here.
Not to rain on the parade, but definitely some details to work through...I'm sure a few have tried and till you get it all together, you won't be giving them away. LOL I have replaced cables and cells on forklift batteries with a torch. Lead sticks to clean hot lead and not much else. Not sure what they do to get it to grab the copper. Maybe flux is enough. Or maybe tin the cable ends. I could see issues with them pulling apart if you don't get the bond right. Also, on the other ends, I believe there is a bit of plastic that might be a challenge to duplicate.

Not in traffic. 12 hours to Lompoc, the freakin wind thru the San Gorgonio pass was so strong, cross head wind, had to slow down to 50. All the way to Banning.
6 hours home.
If the truck still has most of it's paint after Palm Springs in springtime, it was a good trip :lol: LA must have been brutal on the way back to the house.

And dont forget the Cochella festival was over on Sunday, all those people on the 10. I missed it because I went thru about 5ish AM. My brother got stuck, 4 hour delay!
That whole music festival in the desert in wind season just confounds me. One of these days they're going to have one of those winds that strips the paint off every car in the parking lot and blows the stages all the way to Az.

Not to rain on the parade, but definitely some details to work through...I'm sure a few have tried and till you get it all together, you won't be giving them away. LOL I have replaced cables and cells on forklift batteries with a torch. Lead sticks to clean hot lead and not much else. Not sure what they do to get it to grab the copper. Maybe flux is enough. Or maybe tin the cable ends. I could see issues with them pulling apart if you don't get the bond right. Also, on the other ends, I believe there is a bit of plastic that might be a challenge to duplicate.
Silver solder tinned copper

Well, I found my weed killer bottle yesterday. Just mixed up a gallon and sprayed under the deck. Cause nobody likes a deckweed.

Oh, and...I never did, but the guys that did the cables regularly for the forklift service companies had to get their blood tested for lead. Be sure to add that cost to your cables. lol

We used to do similar cables for the C-130 generators. You can solder the new ends on but had to be super carefull not to melt the ferrul on the new terminal. Heat had to be just right. Always did them off the aircraft cause if you went to hot it was melted lead alloy all over the plane. You had to get it 100% cleaned up. Really sucked for the sheet metal guys if it went into a seam!:rofl:

We used to do similar cables for the C-130 generators. You can solder the new ends on but had to be super carefull not to melt the ferrul on the new terminal. Heat had to be just right. Always did them off the aircraft cause if you went to hot it was melted lead alloy all over the plane. You had to get it 100% cleaned up. Really sucked for the sheet metal guys if it went into a seam!:rofl:
For batteries we got cables with the lead loop terminal on the end. Used a drill to remove old cable that left a post on the battery. Kinda like a thick hole saw with a spring loaded center. Sit the cable over the post. Wrapped wet rag around it. Melt the post and work the edge of the terminal into the puddle. Then add lead to fill and keep working the edge. Hit the side too hard with the heat and it's fubarred. LOL

Just came back from a funeral at my Church. She was 95 yrs old when she passed this week. Her and her husband ( still alive at 97 ) have been members at our Church for 30 years. They were married for 72 years....She is home now with HIM.......:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I just finished the Gee Bee top view image. Here is the full progression from start to finish...

6E157CCC-6D3D-4CDE-B887-81E00FDC4CCF.jpeg

B7606857-17CE-4BF4-B04F-DB1B2428CBBC.jpeg

7B399B72-DC04-4CD1-A465-D85DE3ACD0AA.jpeg

2726944F-8D3A-4890-BD13-368E1D3F7C22.jpeg

A6A915ED-239C-481A-96DA-430FA9938004.jpeg

80DCAEC8-B0B9-4FFB-BE49-29FC8D735627.jpeg

So why did I spend 5 hours creating that top view image?

Because I needed it to create this...

ABB73A9E-F148-4332-9DE3-C5CE2E920248.jpeg

-
Back