Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
I don't what's goin on, but somethin is. Goin to my doctor Monday.

Question, yeah, how am I going to put this.

My 225 is smelling when running. At idle it is not smoking, no blue smoke, but it smells lubricating oil. I can not tell what oil is in it, just that it needs to be changed based on the color. Not gotten to that part yet. The engine has no pcv valve, just a regular cap over. The oil filler cap has a tube and is connected to the air filter. Still the valve cover is wet from the neck and down the side, just shortly after cleaning the engine.

So, here is my question. If the smell comes from faulty valve stem seals or worn piston rings, will altering the engine oil viscosity also change the amount of.smell that comes from the engine ?

Bill

My 225 is smelling when running. At idle it is not smoking, no blue smoke, but it smells lubricating oil. I can not tell what oil is in it, just that it needs to be changed based on the color. Not gotten to that part yet. The engine has no pcv valve, just a regular cap over. The oil filler cap has a tube and is connected to the air filter. Still the valve cover is wet from the neck and down the side, just shortly after cleaning the engine.

So, here is my question. If the smell comes from faulty valve stem seals or worn piston rings, will altering the engine oil viscosity also change the amount of.smell that comes from the engine ?

Bill
Worn ring it will smoke, same with valve seals. Compression test should reveal something.
If it smells oily, could be from oil cooking off the valve cover. And the fan blowing the fumes around.

Bill

With no PCV valve, it is likely leaking out of the valve cover and hitting the exhaust manifold. That will give a smell like you describe. It's not the same smell as oil out the tailpipe. I would inspect it very closely, find the leak (I feel sure it has one) fix it and add a PCV valve. Also look at the oil filler cap as it has a breather element in it. If that has failed, it will be dumping oil residue on the valve cover.

With no PCV valve, it is likely leaking out of the valve cover and hitting the exhaust manifold. That will give a smell like you describe. It's not the same smell as oil out the tailpipe. I would inspect it very closely, find the leak (I feel sure it has one) fix it and add a PCV valve. Also look at the oil filler cap as it has a breather element in it. If that has failed, it will be dumping oil residue on the valve cover.

Breather element ?

Bill

Breather element ?

Bill

Yes, the oil cap should also be a breather element. Take it off and flip it upside down. Does it have holes around the bottom edge? It should. They are double walled and have breather material in them to catch oil residue.

A few errands and my part of the day is done. At work now :(
After trying a phone in box outside to verify my Verizon line didn’t work...
Got my new glasses. Which seem better, but a bit weird as I get used to them.... Also stopped by Homely Depo for a bag of grass seed. Grabbed lunch at Arby’s in between. Beer braised beef was good, but I always feel like I got ripped off buying fast food. lol

Last edited:
Ok, I have been out and about again, looking for the right vinyl for my fourth armrest that has been missing since I bought the car. Well, I was lucky and found a 100% match at the first upholstery shop I went to, and they had almost a yard, and I paid $20 for it. It really made my day.

Bill

1965-Dodge-Dart-seat-and-armrest-vinyl-a.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, I have been out and about again, looking for the right vinyl for my fourth armrest that has been missing since I bought the car. Well, I was lucky and found a 100% match at the first upholstery shop I went to, and they had almost a yard, and I paid $20 for it. It really made my day.

Bill

View attachment 1715410174
Were your arm rests upholstered? Later armrests and headrests like my 75 were molded soft plastic.

Were your arm rests upholstered? Later armrests and headrests like my 75 were molded soft plastic.

When the former owner, or whoever did to my car what they did, had the seats redone, they used the same material to re-cover the armrests. So, the three armrests that came with the car are all like that. And I am satisfied with the color and work that has been done, so I figured I could do the same to the 4th armrest that I got on ebya.

But from the factory they were made like you describe.

Bill

I don't know. I am light headed, leg pain, joint pain....just a lot of different things. I told Kitty I am fixin to die.

It's like the Bio Rythems of our system, when they are all at the bottom of the cycle we feel like crap. When they are all at the top of the cycles we feel indestructable.

Middle of the cycles it's just a normal day.

Hope you get back to feeling normal in a day or two.

Just finished detailing the GTS so I can take her out cruising tomorrow. The last step was cleaning up the browned out white letters on the tires. Some acetone and a scotch-brite pad and done in 30 secs per tire. Gotta love basic chemistry!

Before and after...

527E5C1D-BA0A-412F-A6F2-E1519337A3EE.jpeg

F67C5CAA-B45E-417E-8A88-FBAD4F9D12A1.jpeg

I swapped the old coil back onto the GTS and it still runs fine. The issue was definitely the ECU.

New part less than 18 months old and only 200 miles on it.

View attachment 1715408493

Replaced it with the 15 year old Mopar Orange box that came with the car and has over 12k miles on it.

I’m pretty sure I know why the new green box failed and the old orange box is still going strong...

View attachment 1715408494

View attachment 1715408492

Is the ECU boxes possible to open and repair ?

Bill

-
Back