Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Serious question. The shop has a dedicated ground rod. The container will jusyt have two lights and a few outlets 15 amp total. think it needs a dedicated ground? Will be using the ground with the wiring also from the shop.
I don't know what is required. I wouldn't be too concerned about the electrical circuit itself. But being a very large metal object, don't know if grounding would make it more or less susceptible to lightning. Since it is on stone, I wouldn't consider the surface contact to be a good ground, If the container took a hit and your best ground is a 14 gauge wire or even a conduit...Poof!

I have that on the shop this is right next to it.

DSC01528.JPG

I don't know what is required. I wouldn't be too concerned about the electrical circuit itself. But being a very large metal object, don't know if grounding would make it more or less susceptible to lightning. Since it is on stone, I wouldn't consider the surface contact to be a good ground, If the container took a hit and your best ground is a 14 gauge wire or even a conduit...Poof!
Think the shop would get hit first this is almost below the grade next to the old barn wall. Hell I think the roof of the shop is only 10' above the road, maybe. Whats funny the hops trellis has been hit alot! Has a stainless cable system above it. sounds like some one shot a banjo when it gets hit!

Usually stay away from this stuff, but discount grocery across the street had Spam for $2. There’s half my salt RDA for the day. :eek:

39B4A091-CC14-4914-A508-2C30831537BA.jpeg

Think the shop would get hit first this is almost below the grade next to the old barn wall. Hell I think the roof of the shop is only 10' above the road, maybe.
Yeah, you’re probably right. That’s a metal roof. Aint it? Do metal roofs get grounded? Or does that actually increase the chance of it getting struck?

Yeah, you’re probably right. That’s a metal roof. Aint it? Do metal roofs get grounded? Or does that actually increase the chance of it getting struck?
House has lighting rods, shop no. If you have a metal roof I would put rods up, not really expensive. Rain will ground them from what I have been told. TMM you have them?

House has lighting rods, shop no. If you have a metal roof I would put rods up, not really expensive. TMM you have them?
Only metal I have is the shed roof. I do have a big antenna on the house. But it is tied to a ground rod. so in effect, it is the lightning rod for the house. But there are lots of taller things around including radio towers within a few hundred feet.

Some really cool setups out there some with really ornate weather vanes also built in.

Serious question. The shop has a dedicated ground rod. The container will jusyt have two lights and a few outlets 15 amp total. think it needs a dedicated ground? Will be using the ground with the wiring also from the shop.
Better safe than sorry

When I was a kid, my dad was running a ready mix concrete plant out in the desert. His plant was supplying the concrete for the new construction of I 40 out there in the Mojave. One of his mixer drivers, who was also one of his personal friends was hauling to that job one summer day. Arlen the driver had recently broken his jaw in a motorcicle incident and had just returned to work. Arlen had a bit of a reputation for being in the wrong place at the wrong time :lol: . He was coming back to the plant after unloading his mixer and one of those monsoonal summer desert storms fired up. His mixer was struck by lightning :eek:. He survived, mixer did not, but the impact re-broke his jaw

DOH!.jpg

Good morning. Getting warmer here. Still not getting much done. It is the weekend and I can do or not do what I want, right??

Think the shop would get hit first this is almost below the grade next to the old barn wall. Hell I think the roof of the shop is only 10' above the road, maybe. Whats funny the hops trellis has been hit alot! Has a stainless cable system above it. sounds like some one shot a banjo when it gets hit!
It's doing it again. Post's are not showing in order. I saw later posts before this one. Pain in but when trying to follow. Oh well, could be worse. Ever try to follow a conversation on FB with them deciding what is 'most relevant'? :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :mob:

Thanks Sparkey duley noted! :thumbsup:
Wanna hear something hilarious… my brother comes up to me, says the tractor is sparking and won’t start… thinks the starter is dead. Go look at it, he’s got the jumper cables backwards…. Yeah I’d say it’d spark…

Chores done. Stairway filled with firewood. Pile covered back up. Yard de-pooped and picked up some sticks. Gonna watch 1923 now...

We installed ground rods for the containers at the rock farm, 1 for each. That could be a OSHA/MSHA thing not sure on that part. Our electrician did suggest them though. All the electrical itself was run from the nearby switch room on the rock plant.
We also used ground rods on all of our containers at the farm. Each farm had one, they worked great for storage office space and break rooms. By same token we converted school buses into rolling lunch rooms complete with generator and porta pot. We did have considerable trouble with meth heads stealing out of them when parked.

Tell you what Rob The way they grow the pork I wont buy it from a store any more, seriously. They give the hogs a really vitamin rich /hormones in the food, then raise the piglets down lower from them. The "poop" runds down and the piglets love it and eat it with other food. One reason things like say pork chops are pink now not red. Nasty. Seriously had a few farmers they wanted to take over here and the refused because of that practice. Glad we have a Amish Market with a butcher near.
That's really easy to go around. Buy only uncured pork. We get it from our local Ingles, but most stores carry it. I like Ingles, because they carry local mom and pop brands. The uncured doesn't have all the chemicals in it. Usually just water and salt and that's it. Just read the ingredients.

Last edited:
-
Back