Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
OOPS last one isn't mine. :rofl::rofl:
You need wider mud flaps!

010-2-jpg.1715038631

The 15 min was when I came back to start second coat of clear. Fish eyes already there. I waited 2.5 hours after color before clear. Talked to a paint rep this morning at NAPA, small town, NAPA is the paint jobber. Said I didn't I didn't let the color flash long enough, He told me 12 hours minimum to out gas. Needless to say we had words about his 12 hour flash time between color and clear. I told him since when do you need 12 hours to out gas on base coat clear coat. Then handed him the can and had him point out in the directions where it says that. That's information I could have used. Needless to say I think he was just trying to say anything to get out of the conversation. Went into Denver and bought PPG, shall see what happens.
Funny, in another thread last week I stated the guys at Napa really didn't know their paint product. Always get the tech sheets...

PPG :thumbsup:, Never cared for Crossfire/Martin-Senior/Sherwin-Williams or whatever they call these days

Funny, in another thread last week I stated the guys at Napa really didn't know their paint product. Always get the tech sheets...

PPG :thumbsup:, Never cared for Crossfire/Martin-Senior/Sherwin-Williams or whatever they call these days
Kegan did his car in Martin Senior, @jaws may check with him for suggestions. I gotta admit, even two hours flash time between color and clear seems a tad quick depending on your air temp. My Eastwood paint calls for a 6-9 hour then 60-90 min between first two clear coats and 2 hrs between the 2nd clear and the 3rd

Kegan did his car in Martin Senior, @jaws may check with him for suggestions. I gotta admit, even two hours flash time between color and clear seems a tad quick depending on your air temp. My Eastwood paint calls for a 6-9 hour then 60-90 min between first two clear coats and 2 hrs between the 2nd clear and the 3rd
Most "real" paint base flash is 30 minutes tops. PPG, Omni, Dupont, Nason, Sikkins, Glasurit, BASF , even most Sherwin-williams. Off the wall paints, Kirker, SPS, Urechem etc say long flash times because they're basically modified Single stage, not really a true base. I don't like long flash time paints because it's a long time for it to load up with trash.

I know what you mean, I have never had this problem before with Acme/ Crossfire. used them for years.

30 minutes flash time, then clear on Eastwood according to their tech sheets although their sheet is very minimal.....
http://www.eastwood.com/images/pdf/productinfo_lowvoc_basecoat.pdf

Where you come up 6-9 hrs?

Last edited:
Most "real" paint base flash is 30 minutes tops. PPG, Omni, Dupont, Nason, Sikkins, Glasurit, BASF , even most Sherwin-williams. Off the wall paints, Kirker, SPS, Urechem etc say long flash times because they're basically modified Single stage, not really a true base. I don't like long flash time paints because it's a long time for it to load up with trash.
Exactly, I know the owner of the NAPA, I called him, he called the rep, that's how the paint rep was there this morning. Only reason I went the 2.5 hours was I started watching a movie. Should have been good and dry, 78 deg in there.

I know what you mean, I have never had this problem before with Acme/ Crossfire. used them for years.
Air line contamination...... old pump putting oil in the air supply.... and it might sound stupid..... a bottle of armor all sitting on a shelf somewhere, or even something wiped down with it in the area. The little ball filters on the gun? They're good for maybe one job and not real effective. Just tossing some thoughts

Air line contamination...... old pump putting oil in the air supply.... and it might sound stupid..... a bottle of armor all sitting on a shelf somewhere, or even something wiped down with it in the area. The little ball filters on the gun? They're good for maybe one job and not real effective. Just tossing some thoughts
Two water traps in line on the air lines, new one on the gun. And this air line is for paint only, air tool hose is on the other side of the garage.

Exactly, I know the owner of the NAPA, I called him, he called the rep, that's how the paint rep was there this morning. Only reason I went the 2.5 hours was I started watching a movie. Should have been good and dry, 78 deg in there.
They should be able to produce a tech sheet for the paints. Some paints can be very funny about recoat times and do funky if stuff is not applied within certain time frames. Most say to stay away from it if possible, but a few drops of fish eye killer may help.

Good deal, I keep one hose paint only.

I've seen it before also.
I think it was the clear also. Because black looked good, and first coat of clear looked good when I walked away. Only thing running was the exhaust fan.

I think it was the clear also. Because black looked good, and first coat of clear looked good when I walked away. Only thing running was the exhaust fan.
Looked good, then fish eyed later before the second coat?

I got my NOS tail light lenses for the valiant today.

Dang.....NOS parts make you realize how faded and worn used ones look.

This little valiant is really coming together and thanks to fabo

-
Back