Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
I have a 70 manual. I will look here in a min.
yea its just curious. Why would Dodge and Plymouth have different timing on their CAP 318s in '69 (assuming the page posted is really from a '69 Plymouth FSM). And further why then did Plymouth have both CAP and non-CAP timing when Dodge only shows CAP 318s? Weird. I would have thought non-CAP would have been sold everywhere they could unless economies of scale dictated otherwise.

yea its just curious. Why would Dodge and Plymouth have different timing on their CAP 318s in '69 (assuming the page posted is really from a '69 Plymouth FSM). And further why then did Plymouth have both CAP and non-CAP timing when Dodge only shows CAP 318s? Weird. I would have thought non-CAP would have been sold everywhere they could unless economies of scale dictated otherwise.
That is strange. Dodge and Plymouth were both built in LA.

340 manual tranny applications had dual point dist. Automatics had single point.

340 manual tranny applications had dual point dist. Automatics had single point.
There's another one. What's that's about? Dual point is better at high rpm, right? Maybe they figured only buyers of 4 speeds cars were true enthusiasts??? Heck if had a choice I would have bought a 4 speed. I didn't go for the swap because I was already in over my head!

Heck even the 4 speed Hemi's timing was at TDC. That's just wrong! :mob:
Not surprising. All about getting HC, CO and to lesser extant NOx down at idle. Bet it had a super fast and big jump in timing advance right off idle. lemme see what I've got graphed from a few years earlier.

There's another one. What's that's about? Dual point is better at high rpm, right? Maybe they figured only buyers of 4 speeds cars were true enthusiasts??? Heck if had a choice I would have bought a 4 speed. I didn't go for the swap because I was already in over my head!
Dual points are good at low rpm also. With the long dwell, it charges the coil longer for a hotter spark. I wonder how the electronic distributors compare?

Dual points are good at low rpm also. With the long dwell, it charges the coil longer for a hotter spark. I wonder how the electronic distributors compare?
I bet that's part of the story of the high rpm chrome box and gold box. Maybe they have extra dwell built.

Don't have the hemi curves graphed, but do have the 440 Hi-Po.
This is '67 & below that '68. 0* for the manual cars with CAP.
IIRC '67, both manual and auto non-CAP are 12.5* BTC. CAP auto is 5* and 4 speed is TDC.
I'll try to remember to check the '67 book later to verify.

1967-440-A134-Timing.png

1968-440-A134-Timing.png

Last edited:
FWIW. This is why its better to shorten the inside of the slots.
Then with no futher messing around, its pretty much the same non-CAP curve.

1968-440-A134-Timing-shortslots.png

Don't have the hemi curves graphed, but do have the 440 Hi-Po.
This is '67 & below that '68. 0* for the manual cars with CAP.
IIRC '67, both manual and auto non-CAP are 12.5* BTC. CAP auto is 5* and 4 speed is TDC.
I'll try to remember to check the '67 book later to verify.

View attachment 1715166932

View attachment 1715166933
Woah! big difference there! In 70 the 318's weren't much different between manual and automatic. Here's the automatic specs. 1-6° @ 550 rpm, 8.5-10.5° @ 800 rpm, 12-14° @ 2100 rpm (Distributor degrees @ distributor rpm)

Oh. Looks like I was wrong. I do have a '67 426 Hemi timing plotted. Don't what spreadsheet its on. LOL

1967-426-Timing.png

Well the little motor is in and running. Road test was good.
Had only a little first start up incident.
The only one single bolt i forgot to tighten was the one feeding the oil to the turbo....so engine got a flush of fresh 5w30 synthetic blend. Not such a vad thing, but it sure made a mess..

Lol I scored, now with the wife or neighbor it will be a good day! those leads are 20 or more nos!
DSC02521.JPG
DSC02522.JPG
DSC02523.JPG
DSC02524.JPG

-
Back