Stop, Turn, Tail problems 75 Dart

-

swies

Wish I had more time.
Reaction score
So, Had to bring this to a new thread as I jumped someone else's thread inadvertently.
75 Dodge Dart
Turn Signals, Brake Lights, and Tail Lights all work perfectly.
EXCEPT, turn signal lever would not hold in detent on left turn.
Pulled the Steering wheel and found the TS cam had one of the detent clips broken.

Replaced the broken TS Cam with Dorman part.
Now all lights work normally EXCEPT I have no brake lights.
Good news is TS will hold in detent on left or right turn.

Further investigation and great help from another member found the problem is with the Dorman cam.
The Brake light circuit does go through the turn signal switch since it is a single lamp for brake, turn, tail.
The poor fabrication does not make contact correctly to allow the brake circuit to complete.

Tonight, I will buy another Dorman cam as a quick fix while I wait for the new complete turn signal to arrive.

Have you checked do you have power to and through the brake light switch? Easy find the brake light wire going INTO the signal switch connector and check right there. If you have power there, and no brake lights, you have a defective TS switch.

You have a service manual or at least diagram?

I don't know if there's any significant difference between 73---75 wiring as 73 is the latest posted shop manual I know of. "MyMopar"

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1975/75ValiantA.jpg

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1975/75ValiantB.jpg

On diagram "B" the white wire at the very end of the TS switch connector is brake power "coming in."

I had the same issue with the Dorman part...I'll be installing a reproduction TS switch/harness assembly on Monday...

I put a new Dorman replacement cam in last night. After some bending and tweaking it works. I am not happy with the fit though. Monday I will order a new TS and replace the whole mess. The fit is sloppy at best.

OK but what did / have you done about stop lights?

OK but what did / have you done about stop lights?
The brake circuit goes thru the TS switch. By bending and tweaking the contacts on the new cam, the brake light circuit is repaired. Now they all work but the Dorman cam repair part is junk. I will be ordering new complete TS switch this weekend for sure. ::banghead:

So the Dorman replacement TS cam worked for 3 whole days before dying.
I parked the car and ordered a complete new TS switch from carparts.com.
What a waste of time and energy and I will still have to disassemble the column.
I should have just done it in the first place.

Did you replace the entire switch?
Which one did you use?
Does it have the extra 3 wire plug? and if so, what is it for?
I understand it is for cornering lamps which I do not have.
I will just cap them off if that is the case.

So upon further review, the unit I installed sounds/feels like the plastic parts are going to snap off when returning the TS lever to it's "neutral" position after signaling for a lane change...Hope you have better luck with yours...

Installed the new TS last night.
Worked like a champ!
Stop, Turn, and Tail lights are perfect!
Mine does not seem flimsy at all.
Looks and feels exactly like the MOPAR unit I pulled out.
20 minutes and $80 and it's cured!
Guess time will tell though.
Thanks to all for the help!!!
You smart guys are the $hit!:prayer:

Good to hear. "Back in the day" I half *** fixed several switches in the "later than 70" cars which had a habit of developing problems in the column mounted hazard switch. There would be no brake lights. I discovered that by breaking off the switch knob to disable it, and moving a wire (soldering) at the switch connections, I could restore normal operation, just no hazards.

I guess I "did" 4 of these "back then." These were Navy buddies who, like me, were mostly broke at the time, LOL

Installed the new TS last night.
Worked like a champ!
Stop, Turn, and Tail lights are perfect!
Mine does not seem flimsy at all.
Looks and feels exactly like the MOPAR unit I pulled out.
20 minutes and $80 and it's cured!
Guess time will tell though.
Thanks to all for the help!!!
You smart guys are the $hit!:prayer:

I had to laugh when I saw this, but not in a mean way as I went through the exact same things when I changed mine out.
The "fix" for the dorman POS is to bend the wire contacts about 20 thou closer together because in the normally off/centered position the wires were not all on the connections to allow the brakelights to be powered.
At least there are still good solutions available to us.

-
Back