Stopped by police

-

clhyer

Reaction score
Well, not altogether unexpected...

About 3 weeks ago I purchased an '88 Grand Fury cop car off ebay. I purchased it for parts to put on my Duster. Transmission, intake, 4bbl carb, sure grip rear, wheels and anything else I think I can use. In Georgia, we don't have to have a tag on the car until 30 days - it's not unusual on any given day to see lots of cars/trucks without a tag. I had a piece of cardboard in the rear window with "tag applied for" scribbled on it...

Saturday I'm coming home when I drive by one of Byron's finest on a side road. I saw him eye me when I went by, and sure enough - he pulled out behind me and after a couple hundred yards put the blue lights on. Showed him the bill of sale and insurance card and the conversation went pretty much like this:

cop: Everything checks out ok.
me: Yeah, I just bought this beauty a couple weeks ago.
cop: What you going to do with it?
me: I bought it for parts for a car I'm working on. Just thought I would drive it until it was time to transfer parts.
cop: No - this is an old police car, you knew that? Is that why you bought it?
me: I did know, it factored in my decision...
cop: I used to drive one just exactly like this one. I think I would rather restore this one... Does it have the 318 or a 360?
me: 318, it can be had for the right price, I just want some parts. But, if the price is right, it can be had "as-is"...
cop: Look me up when you are done with it Damn, I used to drive one just like this!
me: I'll let you know. See you later.

My wife, son and I had a good chuckle over it
Hope y'all do too.
C

Ha ha ha, that was great. At least you didn't eat a ticket and have to put it on your "Tab."

Nice story. Most cops are cool ( or in LA ).
If you gained an extra long cable remote right door mirror...
I want it !
Cheers

Good to here there are some real folks out there with a badge.
Thanks for sharing a cool experience.

Congrats on your purchase! It's hard to find a decent 'ol cop car anymore--we beat the Hell outta them.:toothy10:. If it were me, I agree with the cop.---Restore it and have fun. There's actually an organization of guys that buy & resore old cop cars. Some of them with quite a history. One of Andy Griffith's cars is here in Az. I think you'd find the car worth more even if it was partially restored than sold off as aparts car. You may even be able to get some of it's history if you knew what Agency it was from which like any old car makes it more marketable.

that reminds me of when I got my roadrunner I was driving up I-95 with no tag no insurance and I was doing about 80 MPH threw a construction zone (I was trying to get home fast, and that was the car to do it in) got pulled over. The cop looked at me and asked me why I was going so fast I spilled the beans on my situation, he asked me what engine was in it I told him a 440 he did a back flip (not literally) but he had just gotten a 70 roadrunner 440 4 speed and didn't know whare to get parts. So I told him about a few of the parts he needed were at my house in the shed, he told me "I'll follow you their and forget about everything if you give me a good deal" so I gave him a really good deal and now he is a good freind of mine, I usually meet up with him about once or twice a month and have a few beers. Great guy

I got to say, driving the Fury is a blast. It has been a long time since I've even had a V8, but, I'm already catching hell for having two parts cars in the drive, I think having two "project cars" would be even worse! At least this one I can drive. I would love to figure out some way to get the sway bars onto the Duster... it would be a 1 of 1 Duster with a police package (at least to my knowledge).
As for the organization of folks who specialize in cop cars, the guy I bought it from does that. I think it sounded like he had one too many projects going on...
Anyhow, I enjoyed sharing the story and hearing from y'all.
C

lol lucky you, i had kind of the opposite last time i was pulled over. I was running open hedders was why i was pulled over (who wouldnt run open hedders if it wasnt illegal?) but anyways, this cop was being a real dickhead and being a smartass but luckily he didnt give me a ticket, but before he went back to his cruiser he told me that he use to have a chevy that would smoke my car. I said some pretty nasty things as he was walking away, glad he didnt hear me or i probably would have gotten a ticket

MoparKid,
Who is your bro-in-law? Byron is a small town, I might know him.
As for the ticket, my wife teaches at the regional police academy in Macon; I haven't had a ticket in over 20 years!
C

his name is alan crowl "cant relly spell his last name right" his a big ford guy

MoparKid,
Who is your bro-in-law? Byron is a small town, I might know him.
As for the ticket, my wife teaches at the regional police academy in Macon; I haven't had a ticket in over 20 years!
C

Can't say that I know him. Checked the phone book and don't find a listing under that name either. If you ever make it down this way, be sure to get in touch. We'll get together and bs a little bit.
C

-
Back