Story Time!!!!

-

hemizach

Young Blood
Reaction score
Yes, I said it... story time. In another thread, towards the end, people started sharing their racing stories, both on the track and the street (shhhhh). Anyway, I thought it would be kinda cool to have a "stories" thread. Share your car stories! It can be something you have seen, something you have experienced, something you have even just heard about. But I thought this could be a cool idea if enough people share.

Anyway, we'll see how many replies this gets. I'm interested to read about what you guys have experienced. :read2:

Wow, where to begin? :-D

The adventures in the Charger? The Satellite? The Diplomat? Running the Duster when it was the hot rod in the family? :-D

Okay, I'll start with the first little story ya'll might like. When I was 16 my Pop bought my '76 Charger for $125 for a co-worker of his. It was actually the family's daily driver for a little while, but I started driving it more and more when Mom and Pop got something else to drive. It was nothing special: 318/904, one leg rear. Yellow and green, ugly as sin.
I drove it to practice at the high school one rainy night in the late fall -can't remember if it was sports or theater - and parked it in one of the spaces near the back doors of the schools, facing the building. When practice was over I came out and the Charger was blocked in. Someone nosed his early '80s Malibu 4-door up behind me, when they could have parked on either side. No big deal, I knew who's car it was and knew he was still inside, I'd just wait until he came out. He did, walking with his girlfriend. They saw me and started laughing. They climbed into her car and took off!
Okay, I thought, time for a little payback. I climbed in the Charger and fired it off to let it warm up after checking to see if he left the keys in his car. Nope. And the POS was locked, too. This get's even better.
The few remaining folks saw my situation and wondered if I needed a ride since I was blocked in.
"Nope," I lied, "John said he'd be right back."
They all left, leaving John's future in my hands.
I climbed in Charger and put the tranny in reverse. The parking lot was nice and slick from the rain and the 318 had no problems pushing the Chevy out of its way. But I didn't stop there. Behind our cars was the high school yard, which went down a slight burm into the softball field. I kept going, the Chevy, in park, not liking the ride, but with the wet grass, it was do big deal. Good tires on the Charger helped. It grunted a little bit when it hit the yard, spinning some, but kept digging. I hit the softball field, but still wasn't content. Behind that was the track with the football field in it. So I kept going. The Chevy was more than cooperative now, with a little momentum, the steering wheel locked, me steering the Charger to compensate for a little drift, across the rest of the yard, across the track and under the goal post. Looking forward my headlights showed a nice long path of yard destruction from where I had just come. Between the tires not moving on the Chevy and the spinning of the Charger a blind man could have seen it. I put the Charger in drive, drove off onto the track, nice and gentley and up the little drive which led away from the track to the parking lot, which the maintainence crew used.
The next morning there was a big uproar that someone had driven his car out into the yard and torn up the softball field before getting stuck on the football field. Let's just say his parents didn't like footing the bill for all that destruction since it was a certain Chevy found sitting under the goal posts.

Ive posted this before but i thought some of you might find it funny again.
Last spring we were at the track my dad was driving the 68 dart post 500 cu.in. best of a 9.59 @ around 138 I think was the best pass the car has done. I was driving our 74 duster 440/auto w/906s at the time(bout the same combo I just put back in the car) ran 12.teens then I think. Well it ended up me racing him,I thought we were racing heads up(the way I like to race), turns out we were bracket racing(the way he likes to race) so no way I should have won(technically I didnt but I still give him a hard time like I did because hes my dad lol,though I did get to the stripe first) Anyways I try to kill the tree and redlit by .005(knew he would win but I had to try) and he doesnt go anywhere, I was huh, he must have broke or something so I grab 2nd and look in my rearview mirror then I see all hell break loose,have any of you ever seen a car do a wheelie in your rearviw mirror and start coming after you its scary lol. Anyways I got to the stripe first because I redlit and his transbrake button wasnt adjusted right so he was off quite a bit but he went by me right as I crossed the stripe like a bullet. You ever been passed when your doing a little over 110 and the other car is going over 130? It's quite a site lol. I was in the left lane so I got a great view of that thing flying by was pretty cool.
I was driving this:
020509_12091.jpg

with this in it without the stage 6s on it(that was later this last summer) had 906s on it at the time:
022009_16201.jpg

He was driving this(sorry bout the pic when we have it out again I'll snap a few better shots as it's a big tire balkhalfed car,lexan windows fiberglass everything prettymuch.):

032009_19291.jpg

with this in it lol:
062709_14591.jpg

Anyways thought you guys would get a kick out of it.
Jr

Ramenth, that's a good one! Did figure out what ya did?

And gearjammer, I laughed when I read about all hell breaking loose. That's a cool little racing story.

Anyone else? I know you all have something to share.

HMMM, stories, stories,stories. I think all my stories are on this website somewhere, here is a bit of each of them

Parents bought a 68 A-108 long wheel base van and a 64 Custom 880 brand new.

Drove the A-108 to the last day of high school, dumped a quart of oil on both rear wheels in the parking lot after last class, wow what a smoky mess.

Jumped the 880 across a intersection in Bellevue, Wa, probably 50 feet, the guy at the Texaco said i was 6 feet off the ground, it felt like it to when i landed.

880 again, was going to rebuild the engine just because, drained the oil out, just because, and let it run, nothing happened, started and stopped it a few more times over about 45 min, didnt seize, put oil back in it and drove it for another 4 yrs. I know, that was a mean thing to do to a 383.

Dad sold it when i moved to Ca. was going to sell it to a junk yard, another guy said he would buy it, for $100. 5 yrs later i moved back, saw it go down the road, looked brand new. Guy said he would sell it back for $3000.

67 Satellite 383, i spun No.1 rod bearing racing a Mustang Cobra down the freeway. His rev limiter was cutting in when i floored it and took off probably doing 140mph. Had the engine rebuilt with a 10 qt pan.

Sold the Satellite to a trucker from illinios. Called me 4 times making sure i didnt sell it out from under him. He ahd on as a kid and it got totalled by a drunk. Showed up, freaking out cause he didnt see it, told him it was around back, We go around the corner and he freaks, like hes seeing his best friend after 20 yrs. Thats the kind of person i want to sel lmy car to.

79 Ford LTD, no big loss there, the thing was indestructable. Ran it out of water, leaked oil like a sieve, block froze once, let the engine heat up and it was fine. wonder where it is now.

88 cutlass calais, Quad 4, a random rock hit the timing chain cover and cracked it, lost all the oil, bummer.

Worked at a Exxon station where we also detailed cars for Platis Cadillac. played Midnight Auto there a lot. Took a new (then)87 Eldorado Convert out for a midnight spin.

Took a 86-87 Firebird across the street and roasted the tires down to nothing.

For the Seattle guys, I worked at Thrifty Car Rental in 86. We got the Shelby CSX-T,s for the summer. I was taking one to the airport location, i took the westbound 520 to I-5 south on ramp at 90 mph. Those tires didnt make a sound. Those were incredible little cars.

After high school, a friend had a 69 Dart we had put a 440 in, back then it was all mickey mouse'ed. We were blowing down the road well over the speed limit, rounded a curve and a cop was sitting there with his lights on, waiting. We kept going.

78 Lebaron, 318 for a few yrs, no good stories there, except it got stolen once.

Worked for Honda Auto Center for a bit, wrecked a Honda Civic, a customers, i was taking back to the shop after taking the customer home. Wet road, went around a corner and there was a dog, hit the brakes and slid into the curb. ouch, didnt steer to good after that.

Hmmm there must be more

Zach,

John did his best to explain it must have been me, but the high school principal knew the Charger had a lowly 318-2bbl (the principal and I were on first name terms :-D) and for the life of him he just couldn't understand how that little engine would be able to push that Chevy all the way out there...so, nope. No witnesses, an unbeliever, and a Chevy parked at the end of all the destruction.

-
Back