STP oil treatment, anyone use it?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Just saw a commercial on the NASCAR TV channel advertising STP and was wondering if anyone these days uses it? I heard rumors years ago that a race car could use only one drop in the crankcase and it was enough to advertise the fact that STP was used (and helped to win races?).

I use a bottle in the marine trans in my fishing boat change it every 1000 hours

Interesting comments, can you elaborate?.... I might learn something, sir.
Curious as well. I typically look at a lot of these products as snake oil, but I did start using Lucas oil additive in my truck that has close to 300k on it.

Curious as well. I typically look at a lot of these products as snake oil, but I did start using Lucas oil additive in my truck that has close to 300k on it.
Lucas does work... especially the "fuel injection " cleaner,witch is actually a valve seat lubricant ( supposedly)...

Lucas does work... especially the "fuel injection " cleaner,witch is actually a valve seat lubricant ( supposedly)...
The lucas oil additive claims to "cling"for whatever that's worth, but it did quiet down that sub-freezing cold start after sitting down low noise I don't like to hear.lol

Just wondering about the Stp liquid plastic.......

I used it for my break in because it has the ZDDP that modern oils don't have and I have heard good things about it from other people and is readily available from pretty much anywhere. I have found some charging gremlins in my wiring since I broke my engine in so I haven't actually driven it around yet.

There use to be an engine assembly lube recipe with a mixture of STP and Automatic Trans Fluid, I don't know of anyone else ever heard of it????

It works very well as a zinc and phosphorus additive.

I use to assemble my engines with STP additive as the lubricant back in the day,worked quite well.........I haven't used it in a long time tho,dont know why .......................................Jeff

IIRC STP is a long chain polymer that has some form of plasticizer in it.

It's been a long time ago when I learned that but from my memory it's what it is. That's not always a bad thing, and AFAK all multi grade oils use the same type of additive to make them multi grade.

Been a long time since I thought about it.

Scientifically Treated Petroleum, I use it in all my old Mopars. it keeps them happy

There use to be an engine assembly lube recipe with a mixture of STP and Automatic Trans Fluid, I don't know of anyone else ever heard of it????
I've used it in my engines for years. Never caused a problem with premature engine wear. I mix 1 part STP with two parts white lithium grease, as an assembly lube. I've used it since the sixties on every type of engine, from stock to race. It has worked very well for me. BTW, I still "set the grain" of my main and rod bearing inserts with Scotch-brite. "Old School."

Last edited:
I've made the application of a blue bottle ( approx 2x zddp of red) to the cam and lifters of an engine I just assembled before bolting down intake, filling with coolant and first fire. It's the voodoo I do.

I've used it in my engines for years. Never cased a problem with premature engine wear. I mix 1 part STP with two parts white lithium grease, as an assembly lube. I've used it since the sixties on every type of engine, from stock to race. It has worked very well for me. BTW, I still "set the grain" of my main and rod bearing inserts with Scotch-brite. "Old School."
An uncle that worked for a refinery told me that it was just a viscosity improver, bigtime . He could tell u stuff about oil u never even dreamed of.

A few months ago, when Bullet Bob Reed passed, someone posted that he used it exclusively on his wheel bearings. A child could push bob reed's car through the pits!

A few months ago, when Bullet Bob Reed passed, someone posted that he used it exclusively on his wheel bearings. A child could push bob reed's car through the pits!
interesting !

Just saw a commercial on the NASCAR TV channel advertising STP and was wondering if anyone these days uses it? I heard rumors years ago that a race car could use only one drop in the crankcase and it was enough to advertise the fact that STP was used (and helped to win races?).
I have used it through the years- I like it in engines that may sit for weeks/ months with out being run- seems like it is so sticky that it would be on internal parts during the intial start up- less lifter tick seems

My dad used it religiously in his brand new 1969 Catalina wagon. We heated it up in boiling water and added it to every oil change. Coming home from a long trip the oil pressure light came on. We made it home. The mechanic said the cam was bad and the oil pan had a thick layer of STP looking goo on the bottom of the oil pan. About 40000 miles.

-
Back