Strange combo

-

1968dartman

life is getting better!!
Reaction score
A buddy of mine was talking to a local engine builder and was told that they had a Mopar small block that they had built many years ago for a dragster they had. They took a 340 block, put a 360 crank in it with 340 rods and pistons. Also they bored the 340 out 60 over. They had to machine the 360 crank to fit the 340 block. Does this sound like it is possible, and if so we are talikng an old school strocker because it comes out at 378 cubic inches. The more I think about this the more it does not make sense. How could you put 340 rods and pistons on a 360 crank without running into clearance problems on the heads?

That is what started the stroker craze... You would need to turn down the top of the pistons too based on the compression you wanted. But now, instead of having to locate a 360 crank and having it turned down, you just buy a stroker crank and stroker pistons for less and build what you want!

This motor is 10:1 or there abouts, so it would probably be a great street motor! I think I can get this for a good price and it will be taken apart and freshened before it leaves the shop . I will keep everyone updated an this as I find out more. I did the math on this motor and it came out at 378 cubic inches.

This is a old tyme stroker build. Pistons years ago were ALOT of money for this. Now, there off the self. The only peoe who could do this cheaply were the machinists doing the work. It was a great power horse combo back in the day. Considering it was pretty big in cubes, for its day, they were known to run well.

It was certainly one BIG small block back in the '70's!

My dart looks very old school with cragars and the general overall look so I was thinking that this would be a neat piece to put in it.

I always wanted to put a 360 crank in a 273. The 273 purists hate me.

My dart looks very old school with cragars and the general overall look so I was thinking that this would be a neat piece to put in it.

But since you can't tell what engine it is by looking at it, just say it's a 273 :p

I always wanted to put a 360 crank in a 273. The 273 purists hate me.

try find some pistons that will fit....going to need special ordered custom pistons for about a grand

most people can not tell what size a sbm is unless they look at some casting numbers..

try find some pistons that will fit....going to need special ordered custom pistons for about a grand

most people can not tell what size a sbm is unless they look at some casting numbers..

There's a piston for Holden engine that a 273 can be bored too but it haves a Chevy pin so you have to run Chevy 6.125 rods and with a 360 crank puts just about zero deck, but if I was gonna do it I go custom pistons, Done right you build a super fuel efficient 300ish HP engine and custom aren't that much more than good off the shelf piston they want $700 for KB's for my 318.

I think my brothers 340, is an old school stroker, think his comes out to 357ci. Ran it in a IMCA Modified and when rumors of someone claiming the engine, he switched to Chevy. He didn't want to give it up for $350. He gave it to me, I asked what it would take to run on pump gas and he said custom pistons probably about $700, I rebuilt the 273 instead. I too would like to build a 273 stroker.

-
Back