strange issue

-

pjc360

Reaction score
What i got going on is while engine is at operating tempature and in park if i rev it up to 2000 to 2500 rpm it will start to sputter and surge but then when i go up further to 3000 rpm it straightens out and stays good all the way to 6000 rpm. Also when i am driving it there is not surge at all this only happens while its in park or nuetral. Whats going on here? Engines is a 360 magnum carburetor is a 600cfm manual choke edelbrock carburetor. Timing is good all ignition parts are new including the distributer. I got the initial timing set at 16 degrees total timing set at 34 degrees all in by 2800 rpm and it starts to come in around 1500 rpm. Any help would be great this is confusing me.
I have seen this issue when driving but never only when in park or nuetal. Could it be the float level being off? or fuel pressure to high or low? never seen anything like this before. Normally when the engine has a load on it the surge will be worse but the surge is totally gone while driving and present while in park or nuetral.

Does anybody know how to adjust and check the fuel pressure on the plain jane mopar mechanical fuel pumps? I'm thinking i have too much pressure ether that or my float level is off. Never thought bout checking the float level as the carburetor is brand new.... But i checked my engine oil and could smell gas on the dip stick wich indicates to me too much fuel pressure or incorrect float level. Wich i would think could cause the engine to load up while in park at 2000 to 2500 rpm and start surging and sputtering.

How old is your carb?Is the choke set properly?Have you tried any other carbs on the engine?Maybe time for new needles and seats.

carburetor is about a year old with less then 1000 miles on it i cant imagine the needle and seats being screwed already....... I always run a clean fuel filter and i run the clear ones so i know when its time for a new one. I ordered a metal measuring stick that will be here tommarrow so i can measure the floats. I'm thinking its ether the floats being off or the fuel pressure being too high. or i need to change the adavance curve in my distributer. I have the distributer spring kit. I just dont have a way of measuring my floats untill that piece gets to napa in the morning.

It's just strange i dont get the cutting out while driving down the road at 2000 to 2500 rpm but when its parked and doesnt have a load on it i get it. Kinda makes me think the fuel pressure might be too high and its loading the carburetor up at that rpm but once i go up to 3000 rpm it clears out and does fine all the way to 6000 rpm. Does this sound like a possibility?
Also the floats could be off and it could be letting in too much fuel at that rpm while parked wich could also cause it to load up. correct?

-
Back