Strange looking wear on my 5.9 cylinders

-
Got busy today with a 320 grit ball hone. Had to buy one from summit, couldn't find one to rent.
Anyway bores cleaned up real nice. Those stains disappeared as soon as I started honing. Bores look great now, but made huge mess on the front of my garage door flinging oil all over. But that will clean up too.

View attachment 1715029628
moly faced rings, only way to go.

Yep some iron looks like it'd be happy living in those bores!
You can use a rolled up sheet of sandpaper between the walls and ball hone if you feel the need (i like diesel as a lube too, doesnt load up).

Yep some iron looks like it'd be happy living in those bores!
You can use a rolled up sheet of sandpaper between the walls and ball hone if you feel the need (i like diesel as a lube too, doesnt load up).

I used automatic tranny fluid with the 320grit ball hone. That's just how my daddy taught me, many years ago.
Today my bro came over and helped me get the block into the back of my grand Cherokee, and off we went to the car wash. Soaked it good with Gunk engine degreaser and then blasted it with the car wash. Came out pretty clean.
Got it back on the engine stand now, and just about to start reassembly. Just gotta wait till Tuesday for my gasket kit to show up, and buy some assembly lube.

-
Back