Strange noise coming from carb

-

Deceus

Reaction score
Hopefully I'm just being paranoid here but there's a "clanging" noise coming from my carb. I'm not sure if this is normal noise from the valvetrain. I have the stock-style steel rockers arms from Mancini in there and I know they have a good bit of slop in them but I don't remember hearing this sound on the runstand.

Sounds like a lot of valve train noise. (rocker noise)

I need to just pull the valve covers I think. I went back and listened to my break-in video and it seemed kinda noisy at idle as well so that's at least a little comforting. I'm thinking a combination of throwing some mufflers on and taking the air cleaner off is making me think it got louder when it hasn't.

Seems noisey. What are the specs of the motor? Some of the newer cams are just louder, but runing a stock rocker, you probably aren't running an to aggressive of a cam.

Seems noisey. What are the specs of the motor? Some of the newer cams are just louder, but runing a stock rocker, you probably aren't running an to aggressive of a cam.

XE262 from Comp Cams. I never considered that the cam could be to blame. It's not the biggest cam out there for sure but the XE grinds are supposed to be more aggressive overall I believe. It's about the only corner I cut in the build. KB 167 pistons, 302 heads, AirGap, Dougs and a 600cfm Edelbrock. Roller rockers are definitely on the radar, I just want to get things like sway bars and frame connectors before getting things that don't necessary change much.

Take it as you will, I have a 5.9 magnum with a similar (stock reground) cam to the comp xe268. It makes the same noise through the carb, pretty much since I put it together with these new springs. I've beat the piss outta it, and daily drove it, and I haven't had an issue with the valvetrain coming apart. My rockers are getting plenty of oil, and are tight. I guess the way I look at my engine is if it continuously gets louder/more obnoxious then there's a problem. But otherwise run it.

But this is your engine/your money. I'm not saying that sound is ok, but mine is making the same noise and I'm not sweating it. Sure wouldn't hurt to pull the valve covers and give things a check up just to be sure though.

Take it as you will, I have a 5.9 magnum with a similar (stock reground) cam to the comp xe268. It makes the same noise through the carb, pretty much since I put it together with these new springs. I've beat the piss outta it, and daily drove it, and I haven't had an issue with the valvetrain coming apart. My rockers are getting plenty of oil, and are tight. I guess the way I look at my engine is if it continuously gets louder/more obnoxious then there's a problem. But otherwise run it.

But this is your engine/your money. I'm not saying that sound is ok, but mine is making the same noise and I'm not sweating it. Sure wouldn't hurt to pull the valve covers and give things a check up just to be sure though.

Thanks! This is exactly the kind of input I was hoping for. Not seeing any issues on mine either just yet but haven't really laid into it since my brakes are still sketchy at best.

I have a Lunati 262 VooDoo cam and its noisy like yours too.
You have a loose air horn screw on your carb.

(just in case someone comes across this in the future) So the final verdict on this one was a few (slightly) bent pushrods that came from my exhaust valves sticking. Apparently my rocker arm shaft was put on wrong and was causing oiling issues. Caught before any real damage was done to anything and it's running quieter now. Lesson learned: don't let Chevy guys help assemble your heads without double checking everything lol.

8B35oZT.jpg

Many thanks for the follow-up! I just saw this for the 1st time and listened to the audio and was gonna guess a collapsed lifter(s) not properly opening 1 (or more) valve(s). Bent pushrods will do that same.

Boy, glad you caught it in time! THOSE CHEVY GUYS! LOL

-
Back