streaming!?

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
OK I admit to being technology challenged! We live out and get puter reception thru Verizon's little box that sits in the window sill. We paid for a streaming of the big finals roping in Vegas 2 of the grandkids, and dad roping there. So it come on , and the footage stops and rns a couple seconds, stops, we miss half of the runs.
Was the problem out Verizon box or the people at Vegas doing this streaming??

I also wonder bout Netflix. I had it 10 years ago and they mailed me the DVDs. Now I guess it is streamed? I have to pay for the puter gig a bite for this no doubt??

Sorry I am so dense. ( Wife says not dense, rocks are dense, I am just dumber than a whole box of rocks!)

If Verizon is your Internet provider I'm guessing that means it is a 4g cellular internet box. Technically it is fast enough to stream video, realistically you will probably get what you are describing, which is buffering. If other devices such as computers and cell phones are hooked up to the device through WiFi the speed it provides might not be able to keep up with a full length video stream.

Are you in the city close to a Cell tower? If you are connected to this device on your computer as well try this:

Use google to search speedtest google

speed1.jpg

It will start testing automatically. It will tell you if yours is fast enough to stream video.

speed2.jpg

What is an IP address. I told you I was tech. challenged.!! lol We are 1 hr n of Houston, I have no idea where the tower is.. Wife is almost worse than me!!

OK I admit to being technology challenged! We live out and get puter reception thru Verizon's little box that sits in the window sill. We paid for a streaming of the big finals roping in Vegas 2 of the grandkids, and dad roping there. So it come on , and the footage stops and rns a couple seconds, stops, we miss half of the runs.
Was the problem out Verizon box or the people at Vegas doing this streaming??

I also wonder bout Netflix. I had it 10 years ago and they mailed me the DVDs. Now I guess it is streamed? I have to pay for the puter gig a bite for this no doubt??

Sorry I am so dense. ( Wife says not dense, rocks are dense, I am just dumber than a whole box of rocks!)

Lots of that kind of experience here, and I can tell you that Verizon is almost never as good as they say it is.
On Netflix streaming go into the options on your Netflix account and turn down the DPI settings to something other than the highest it is set at now. (Probably 1080P right now)
This will help the hesitation caused by Verizon not being fast enough for video due to the picture not being as high in resolution and therefore less data to transfer.
Don't know what service you use for the roping event, but there may also be a setting there that can be lowered.
(less data throughput=less or no hesitation)
Plus your videos and movies won't use as much of your Verizon data limit.

An IP address is a unique number assigned to every computer or device connected to the internet. Basically it is how "the internet" keeps everything straight and knows where to send stuff back and forth.

Oh, and don't worry about your IP address being sent to them. It's sent to them every time you do a search as well. They use the IP addresses for statistics to show what Internet providers have the fastest service.

If Verizon is your Internet provider I'm guessing that means it is a 4g cellular internet box. Technically it is fast enough to stream video, realistically you will probably get what you are describing, which is buffering. If other devices such as computers and cell phones are hooked up to the device through WiFi the speed it provides might not be able to keep up with a full length video stream.

Are you in the city close to a Cell tower? If you are connected to this device on your computer as well try this:

Use google to search speedtest google

View attachment 1715261635

It will start testing automatically. It will tell you if yours is fast enough to stream video.

View attachment 1715261634

I realize in this instance it doesn't really matter that much, but the google speed test isn't very accurate from where I am.
Google shows around 20mbps for me, and in reality I'm more around 60mbps.

Still I can tell you his problem is Verizon and the amount of data it's trying to transmit.
I have done a lot this kind of trouble shooting regarding Verizon in our business and the only way I would use them is if it was the ONLY way to get internet.:D

Netflix is streamed, and on DVD. It depends on what you want to watch. There are no newer, good movies on Netflix streaming. Only DVD. They put TV series and movies that were "direct to video" (mostly not so good) on Netflix streaming.

I realize in this instance it doesn't really matter that much, but the google speed test isn't very accurate from where I am.
Google shows around 20mbps for me, and in reality I'm more around 60mbps.

Still I can tell you his problem is Verizon and the amount of data it's trying to transmit.
I have done a lot this kind of trouble shooting regarding Verizon in our business and the only way I would use them is if it was the ONLY way to get internet.:D

The wife is a R/E agent, and she somehow thinks getting computer with her cell phone is her best deal.. She checks all kinds of emails off phone and the satellite is only other way here to get tv or internet. Interent with Dish is maybe $100 a month depending on usage.
The R/E deal is country property and feast or fame, more like famine!!!!!
I think I would like to get Nreflix on DVD lke I sed to get. I lived way out, and could do couple movies a week If I sent them right back and ordered up a new one same time. I like my te horse operas!!

The wife is a R/E agent, and she somehow thinks getting computer with her cell phone is her best deal.. She checks all kinds of emails off phone and the satellite is only other way here to get tv or internet. Interent with Dish is maybe $100 a month depending on usage.
The R/E deal is country property and feast or fame, more like famine!!!!!
I think I would like to get Nreflix on DVD lke I sed to get. I lived way out, and could do couple movies a week If I sent them right back and ordered up a new one same time. I like my te horse operas!!

Well, to be honest your Wife is probably right about just using the phone since most net related content is phone friendly these days.
Computers are getting to be not worth using if it isn't a laptop or tablet, but then they have their own issue's (especially with the Windows operating system)

Not positive but I think Netflix stopped the DVD mailing.

Dish is better than Verizon, but they have the same problems every other ISP has PLUS the weather can stop the signal with a dish.
(But you also get all kinds of channels)

These days I recommend the phone or a tablet with a non Microsoft operating system if say, the screen on a phone is too small or you just need more screen for whatever reason.
Also a lot of tablets have a video out port or Blue Tooth, so you could connect it to a TV that is capable (most are these days).

Yep, we decided :D you should get a tablet and Netflix online and turn the video resolution down so it uses less data and would probably not have the buffering problem.
And that your Wife should keep using her phone for the work stuff, since she already knows it and it's probably the most reliable to conduct business with.

Thanks for the input. I have used Dish for TV for years as in the country it is bout all there is really. Overpriced and not what it should be, then I have to go to a bigger package to just get a channel I want. I can not sit in front of this puter and watch TV! I tried watching some RoadKIlll on UTube!
We have laptops and I don't know Windows from Doors!!! I am just getting too old for all this technology! I wish the wife could get a couple years older real quick and get on Medicare and start drawing hr SS and both of us retire to a place like I had back in Missouri,.... smaller and cheaper!!

That is 100% incorrect. If you want to get good movies you have to get DVDs. As I said earlier (see just 3 posts above).

Thanks, I hadn't noticed for some time now and heard about them stopping the DVD's but didn't know for sure if they had.

If they ever stopped the DVDs , there would be little worth watching on Netflix. The streaming is hardly worth the money.

Streaming can work on as low as 3Mb/s, turn your resolution down to 720p if your on anything smaller than a 48". Dont even waste your time on a laptops screen at 1080x, just overkill for that small of a screen. Satellite cannot do upstream (no transmit equipment) so youll have to have an upstream "channel" via the phone line. Those Wifi hotspots are pay as you go so if your streaming on one, youll be paying for that data throughput as well as the subscription to the bulls unless they factor that in. The hotspots are not stream worthy in my opinion, very bursty. HughesNet is/was a bi-directional satellite data service, but it was pretty expensive and latency was an issue, probably OK for streaming if they were fast enough.

Streaming works great on high-speed cable TV networks. But the content is very lacking, in most cases, IMHO.

-
Back