street 360 build

-

Dartboy69

Slant Six Aint Cuttin It
Reaction score
hey guys, im looking to build a nice little 360 with around 400 horse. the problems are starting already, im just curious about the strength of these motors, i found a few locally, i have a 73 in my 69 dart now that runs strong, but would it be worth the cost to buy an older block like the mid seventies, or go with a bit cheaper eighties ones that i have found, that are long blocks too! any advice would be grand.

Block strength is not an issue with a Chrysler engine. Older doesn't mean better. Save money where ya can.

as mentioned above start with what you have. It wont take much to get 400 hp from a 360,

good lower end 9ish CR mag heads good cam ect... ect..

Depends n cam selection and the willingness to live without any bottom end torque coupled with just how high you want to spin this engine and spend on the valve train to keep it stable.

Depends n cam selection and the willingness to live without any bottom end torque coupled with just how high you want to spin this engine and spend on the valve train to keep it stable.

Exactly!

Don't forget about the torque.... that is what makes a mostly street driven car fun. I built a 360 mainly with torque in mind and it is fun to drive on the street. It still goes up to 6000 RPMS before it starts to lay down. Stroker motors are cool also! :toothy10:

i want to do something around 400-450 horse, but i dont want to sacrifice the torque i have now(just shy of 300). i dont think that would be a problem though? i was thinkin around a 509 cam and some aluminum eddys

The 360 starting in the 80,s was a roller cammed motor.Just a thought when searching and purchasing.Good Luck!

-
Back