Stripped my nipples ...

-

rebeldart

Reaction score
And it hurt too ! Where might I find replacement 727 coolant line nipples - would Home Depot have this fitting ? I can check after work but don't want to waste the trip if it's unlikely. Thanks.

I have read that the threads in the case aren't the same as NPT. I can't testify one way or another. I'm sure I've stripped one before but who knows where I laid hands on a replacement. I dont think I would chance a striped case on a 2 dollar fitting. Good luck

I know Home Depot carries brass fittings but I don't think I've seen that style of inverted flare. I'd hit NAPA or some other auto parts supplier who'll have the fittings drawers. Are the treads stripped or are the flats "stripped"?

Its the male threads on the line side, not the case side - same fittings are in the radiator, just need one.

I recently bought the trans line fitting that goes into the radiator and it looks like its the same one that goes in the trans. Here are some pics of an extra one I bought from a local parts store:

TransFitting1.jpg

TransFitting2.jpg

Hey Rebel, how did you make out with your trans lines? Did you bend up some new lines like I did? Pics?

I have read that the threads in the case aren't the same as NPT.

Correct. I went threw this on my 904 and the Home Depot fittings are not the same tapper as automotive fittings and are a major leak source.

Go to an auto parts store or tranny shop for the right fittings.

Don't use teflon tape on the fittings, use teflon paste. The tape will crack the aluminum case.

Fastback - I'm re-bending the stock lines and will know later this week how that goes - if all fails, I'll buy tubing and go from there (bought a flaring kit and bender from Harbor Freight (I know, el cheapo, but may not use 3-4 times). Been told braided and AN is the way to go, but don't want to come off the $ right now. Challenge will be the hard 90 degree bend but looks good in practice sessions !

Correct. I went threw this on my 904 and the Home Depot fittings are not the same tapper as automotive fittings and are a major leak source.

Go to an auto parts store or tranny shop for the right fittings.

almost correct , the threads in the CASE are NPT , the angle of the FLARE is different so as you said HOME DESPOT is NOT a palce to buy the fitting , the nut would screw on , but you would be hard pressed to get it to seal .

almost correct , the threads in the CASE are NPT , the angle of the FLARE is different so as you said HOME DESPOT is NOT a palce to buy the fitting , the nut would screw on , but you would be hard pressed to get it to seal .

Could it be an AN fitting? If so youshould be able to get it at a local speed shop, or Summit.

Xstearm1: who is that standing beside you with those looooooong legs? Maybe you could enlarge that picture and post it up for us good old boys.LOL

old thread, but i just had the stripped brass thing happen to me.

to get it home, my only alternative was teflon tape. how sure are you that it would have cracked my case? i am getting a new connector for it, and i do not even want to think about a crack?

will a crack be obvious or will the issue grow bigger over time?

i hope this is a good sign, but i did not have any leaks after the 30 minute drive home.

just hoping!!!

Buy the paste, they call it "pipe dope" or something like that. Probably bout $3-5 for a tube that will last a lifetime...

ace hardware has there own get the oil and gasses resistant oneworks great u can use it evreywhere put a little on all those plugs on my edel intake that i dont use or need

I've never seen a case crack because of Teflon tape. I can't imagine that ever happening, assuming that no unusual amount of tape is used (I.e. more than two full wraps).

-
Back