Stripping Paint / Stripping Rust

-
Reaction score
What is the most efficient (cost and time wise) way to strip a car's paint?

And the same question for the rust?

I would rent something if that was the way to go.

P2280753.JPG

paint i would say sand it lol. its easy to do and you can do it. otherwise blast it. get like a 8" da and go to town. rust sandblasting is good. most media blasting wont take rust off so sand is the best. i would think it needs to be pretty bare to blast cuz it gets everywhere. if you wanna do it cheap sand the paint and deeper rust grind/sand carefully

Well I guess I'll start sanding it a little each day until it gets there.

Can I just use any kind of sand paper? And is their any specific way to do it?

to strip the paint, use aircraft stripper, that and a wire brush on a 4 1/2 angle grinder, you can do a whole car in an afternoon. Rust, sand out or sandblast off.

I would use a sand blaster or soda blaster for that. Does a great job of digging out the rust without taking down as much metal as 40 or even 80 grit.

I wouldnt waist money on stripper, i used that stuff on my cuda hood, took forever and vs the time it took vs a da with 40 g, da was WAY FASTER. Plus you will never get all of it off, i had to go over the place the stripper was, so i waisted money anyways.

Da paper is cheap, stripper is like 40-50 a gal, depending on how many layers of paint you have it adds up quick. We discussed this at school and at my work(body shop)

Da/grinder is fast, what i would do is get a big disc grinder(like a buffer) run over quick to just knock it down fast, then da it. dont use the big grinder(buffer) down to bare metal leaves way too deep of gouges.

For rust, SAND blast is the only way to go, there is any on a big open pannel be carefull it will warp fast. Sand blast, find how out how far the rust goes, then cut out and replace all of it, thats the best method anyways.

Good luck!

I stripped my whole car with like 3 gallons of air craft stripper. Around here its $20-30 per gallon. I even used one of those gallons from the local hardware store, it changed colors when it was done. With the wire wheel it goes quicker than a scraper, just be careful not to dig into the metal. Like I said I did my whole car in under 4 hours.
Oh and I have a 2 door dart sport...

I used a DA sander and 80 grit paper when I did my 75 Dart Sport. The DA does all the work for you, but it takes a little while. However, I'm lazy and I smoked back then so quite a few smoke breaks took place. I think if you worked dilligently you would have no problems having it DA'd down in a weekend. Just keep in mind that it doesn't need to go down to bare metal as your doing it, unless there is a repair needed in that area. Also, take your time around windows or just remove them. Don't ask me how I know, but my 75 Darts drivers door window is a good example.

@20 a gallon at Home Repot
803575.jpg

Complete car @2 gallons for 2 paint coats, If car was painted more then twice get 3 gallons. Also if it has that much paint a DA would take forever.
Wire wheel the rust and treat with OSPHO.

DSC00001 (Custom).JPG

Use the paint strippper, scrape it with a plastic scraper, then let it dry. Then go to town with 80g on a DA and some black biscuit wheels on a 3/8" drill for the hard to reach areas.

I say the plastic scraper and 80g because of the lack of experience.

If you don't want to sand the whole car which is a time comsuming pain in the ***. The best product out there is aircraft stripper. You can pick up at your local auto body supply store for about $45 a gallon. 2 gallons will be more than enough and save you so much time. Its like a gel you spread it on with a brush and it makes the paint rinkle up down to bare metal in less than 30 minutes and srape it off with a putty knife and wire brush. As for the rust a grinder and some metal prep and your good to go. Hope this helps!

I have used the aircraft stripper and see no difference in the cheap stuff for 20 a gallon. Make sure it's the X3 strength. I used nothing but the aircraft stripper and a buddy told me to try this. I was sold.

Worked in a restoration shop for a couple of years and we used chemical stripper and a Hotsy to strip cars. I could strip a Packard in around 6 hours. Sanding the paint off does too much damage to the sheet metal no matter how careful you are. Think wavy quarters.

The cheap stuff works ok too you just have to cover it with plastic which is a pain in the *** and wait alot longer for it to work. But yes the cheap **** works to. Just think of it as the quality of anything you buy. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!!!!!!

The cheap stuff works ok too you just have to cover it with plastic which is a pain in the *** and wait alot longer for it to work. But yes the cheap **** works to. Just think of it as the quality of anything you buy. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!!!!!!

Never had to cover with plastic, maybe the temp difference here has something to do with it. All I am getting at is it doesnt work twice as good, why would you pay twice the price?

In all my expierience with stripper the aircraft stripper works better than twice as good you only have to apply once and it gets the job done. Everyone has there own opinion but in my expierience I'll pay the extra $20 all day long to save myself all the heartache

Where about in San Bernardino do you live. I was born and raised in that city.

I live by E Street and Stoddard. (Right by Little Mountain) but I go to Cajon. (idk if it was there when you were here it was built right after my parents graduated I think?)

Where did you live at dart64gt?

soda blasting is a really good way to strip a car down and it doesnt hurt glass, rubber mouldings, window trim, so basically you dont have to mask any thing..

-
Back