Stroke a 318

-

hwy2

Reaction score
I have a 318. I made a huge mistake and left a rag in the motor and started it up. Needless to stay, it tore the rag up and it went through my motor. I found out because I changed or upgraded the distributor. Since I have to take my block apart, now to blow out all the oil passage lines, I would like to put in a 4 inch crank, is there anything special I have to do to put in a 4 inch crank? Any helpful? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I found a lightweight crankshaft on Summit racing for an internally balanced motor. What parts will I need to complete this?

I have a 318. I made a huge mistake and left a rag in the motor and started it up. Needless to stay, it tore the rag up and it went through my motor. I found out because I changed or upgraded the distributor. Since I have to take my block apart, now to blow out all the oil passage lines, I would like to put in a 4 inch crank, is there anything special I have to do to put in a 4 inch crank? Any helpful? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I found a lightweight crankshaft on Summit racing for an internally balanced motor. What parts will I need to complete this?
You do need special pistons to go with that crank.

honestly, if you're going to build a stroked 318, I'd start with an '85-91 block. they have factory roller cams, 302 heads. the roller cam is the biggie. you can get it reground, or get a roller cam and reuse the stock roller lifters at a much lower cost than the retrofit roller lifters.

putting a stroker crank in requires at a minimum new crank, pistons, and block clearancing if using stock rods, IIRC.

any 318's stock heads will be way undersized as far as flow to have any power above about 4k RPM.

that said, a 4" stroke 318 (~390 CID .030 over) with a hydraulic roller with about .55" lift and [email protected] duration, magnum or edelbrock heads, headers, an RPM air gap and a 750cfm carb should be a really great, streetable 400+HP/400+lb ft torque motor.

It seems to me that any rag-bits that made it thru the pick-up screen, should all be in the oil filter.

wow. how long was it running with the rag just chilling out there in the valley?

Which pistons
Pistons to go with a 4" stroke crank with whatever bore size you're using. We're not gonna choose your piston for you. That's your decision to make regarding whatever you want the compression to be.

Do your homework and get prices for everything. It might be easier and cheaper to just get an engine from Blueprint or another builder of your choice. It'll save time too. Just throwing it out there.

honestly, if you're going to build a stroked 318, I'd start with an '85-91 block. they have factory roller cams, 302 heads. the roller cam is the biggie. you can get it reground, or get a roller cam and reuse the stock roller lifters at a much lower cost than the retrofit roller lifters.

putting a stroker crank in requires at a minimum new crank, pistons, and block clearancing if using stock rods, IIRC.

any 318's stock heads will be way undersized as far as flow to have any power above about 4k RPM

You can check speed parts sellers like Hughesengines.com
Or Manciniracing.com for full or partial kits to stroke a 318 to a 390.

Do your homework and get prices for everything. It might be easier and cheaper to just get an engine from Blueprint or another builder of your choice. It'll save time too. Just throwing it out there.
Thats what I am thinking

Kits are available.

.040 over makes a 392.

One of Mopar's "magic numbers".

Does blueprint have 360's...?

-
Back