stroker life span?

-
How many miles a year are you expecting to drive? What is your definition of streetable?

Longevity is directly related to piston speed, rod ratio, rpm, cylinder pressure and time. The more HP you make at what rpm and FOR HOW LONG is key. A longer stroke will have a higher piston speed than a shorter stroke at a given rpm for any engine, hence more wear. A longer skirt will help but is not the end all be all. A longer rod will help negate piston ****/tilt but also sacrifices rod strength and weight. Everthing is a trade off, you just have to have a realistic view of your intended use.

Everthing is a trade off and if you want a 500+ hp stroker that will last 100K, it 'aint gonna happen. But then again, with very careful machining, forethought and not blazing it to 6k+ at every chance, try to drive it nice and not rap on it, give it good gas, keep the timing conservative, you should get plenty of fun out of it and that's what really matters. :)

On the last page I wrote that I average about 5-7k a year. If I knew the stroker wouldnt last that long it would probibly be about 4-5k a year. Streetable to me is simply being able to cruise around a parking lot without the motor "choking" as i look for a parking spot. what if I used the 3.71 in stroker camshaft instead of the 4 in? I think is 3.71 i may be wrong. Wouldnt it put me at 396 with a .03 over bore? That should last longer than a 416 right? You think I could get past 50k miles with that?

We have no one that has stepped up with there HIGH Mileage, we can only guess.

Put it together and tell us :cheers:

I think it will make 100,000 miles with a lot of LOVE!:thumrigh:

On the last page I wrote that I average about 5-7k a year. If I knew the stroker wouldnt last that long it would probibly be about 4-5k a year. Streetable to me is simply being able to cruise around a parking lot without the motor "choking" as i look for a parking spot. what if I used the 3.71 in stroker camshaft instead of the 4 in? I think is 3.71 i may be wrong. Wouldnt it put me at 396 with a .03 over bore? That should last longer than a 416 right? You think I could get past 50k miles with that?

Not sure what you mean by "choking"... You mean loading up? Regardless of size and design they shouldnt be loading up on you if the tune's right and the driveline's matched to it. You're looking for 450hp at the crank. That can be done with a 360, but again, you will have some maintenance. So again, what is streetable to you? Do you have options like A/C or power brakes? Do you mind setting lash once a year? Do you mind running more expensive oils? Do you mind replacing valve springs or sending lifters out to be checked and rebuilt every two years? 450hp from a 3.75" stroke 440 is a performance rebuild with a decent set of heads and a cam. 450hp from a 4" stroke smallblock is the same but without the longevity. 450hp from a 360 or 340 is more radical and will need extra maintenance. I think if you "want it all" then perhaps the best choice would be a B 400 based 451, or just an RB 440. The 451 would be the best bang for your buck and the easier packaging. Except now you need to replace the radiator, mounts, headers, transmission and driveshft too. But, you can "do it once" and get a ton of miles from it while making the power you want and more.

If your not going to rev the engine you are throwing away power.

If the engine is built right and gear right, you might be surprised how well a high compression 340 motor can be. A 360 can be made with 10--10 1/2 compression also.

My 3.91 gear 340 car rarely goes WOT--there is no need to !

Ran out to a store this morning at 9am, temp was upper 30's, car sat all weekend in the garage. Fired it up and let it warm up 1 min, lots of water vapor, no blue smoke what so ever. 2 miles later I was on the expressway going 80 mph @ 4,250--4,500 rpm, engine was running great, only at the stop lights does it shake due to the cam.

Took the back roads on the way back--state boys on the other side of the expressway was doing a traffic stop and traffic was stop-back up for miles, ugh...I thought even if traffic thins out that trooper might still be around.

3.91 gears are perfect around town in 25 to 45 mph zones. 50--60% throttle in 1st or 2nd should pass 75% of the cars/trucks out on the roads, I had no problems staying ahead of traffic.

Drag racing is another story, I agree then stroker might be cool then but for my street ride no way. I beaten on my 340 for 2 summers now, got over 5,000 miles on it, red line is a "safe" 6,500. During the summer it sees 6,000 plus a few times each time it went out--some days muti times a day..sometimes in top gear--hard on the motor to push the car at high speeds. Uses just a quart of oil between oil changes each 3--4 months and the rear main has a little leak.

I never see any smoke expect water vapor from the exhaust. I'm sure that little 340 will last well over 50,000 miles.

I still don't see why not use a BBM if you want more CI ?

Well im in the bay area so traffic is something that I have to live with. Im fine with using higher quality oils and I dont need ac here in the bay. I do however, want my power steering. By choking i meant the result of an overly aggressive cam on the street. But anyways, I really do appriciate all of the amazing information shared on this thread. I guess ill have to just supprise you guys with my decision to stroke or not. Thanks everyone! and have a great thanksgiving holiday!

-
Back