stroker life span?

-
How about getting your hands on a 5.7, 6.1, or 6.4 Hemi and adding a super charger to it (they make plenty of power). You'll have a lot better start and you'll be working with "new" material and not an old 35+ year block.
If I had not pay next to dirt for my 340, I would gone the Hemi way.

So you're going to go through all the expense of building an ultra-stong top of the line lower end (meaning new block, by the way because two turbos can easilly exceed four figures in the horsepower dept with the right matched parts), twin turbos, the exh headers/manifolding, and not spend on tuneable EFI? Just my opinion but I think you're already looking at heading in the wrong direction.

There is a huge mis conception when it comes to actually needing a "new Block" and a bunch of expensive parts to go the boosted route. There are hundreds of guys making "SERIOUS" Power without going exotic on boosted applications. If you have the extra cash, then sure an aftermarket block is always better to have along with all the other big $$ go fast goodies, but it is not totally necessary. There are several guys running 15 PSI with stockish 318's & 360's out there that make well over 600++HP to the tires on a Cast Crank, stock rods & Pistons with a Blow thru set up. There are carb shops that specialize in setting carb's up for your specific application that are just about a bolt on an go deal.

theturboforums.com

? im pretty sure a 340 with only 8lbs of boost wouldnt reach 1000 hp. Why would I buy an aftermarket block when mine is just fine. 600 hp would be the highest Id want to take my stock block. Id probibly aim for 550. Thats all im really looking for. If the FI 340 will last longer than a 416 stroker than thats what ill go for. EFI will come later down the road after ive played with the blow-thru and saved up enough dinero. I can fab up most of what I need. Plus, I already have a garret t3/t4 hybrid turbo... thats the only reason why I would even consider going FI.

I apologize, I assumed with a twin turbo setup you had more planned than 8 lbs of boost. 600hp wont break a block. 900 probably will, if you actually use all of it. At minimum the bore walls will move around a lot and you'll have sealing issues. Again, my bad.

I don't think you will be happy with turbos i try ed it works don't get me wrong but a boosted engine will not live as long as a Na engine because of the simples thing you will want more and thats wear it will end, most people go efi makes timing and air fuel ratio easier to deal with iv got a 426 stroker Na 2 year of my *** beating the hell out of it, and 550 to 600 you are at your blocks limits with all the goodies before it shoves the crank out on the ground, but it doesn't sound like a every day driver so personally i would build a stroker and buy the way it work awesome not bad on fuel and lots of torque on tap witch is what you want in a street car i drive it every wear it got 20,00 mile on hear and oil is still clean as hell I'm going to run it till it starts to burn oil and if you don't think a boosted engine will burn oil just think when the boost is on its shoving the rings into the cylinder walls this is why they have special pistons and rings.

I don't think you will be happy with turbos i try ed it works don't get me wrong but a boosted engine will not live as long as a Na engine because of the simples thing you will want more and thats wear it will end, most people go efi makes timing and air fuel ratio easier to deal with iv got a 426 stroker Na 2 year of my *** beating the hell out of it, and 550 to 600 you are at your blocks limits with all the goodies before it shoves the crank out on the ground, but it doesn't sound like a every day driver so personally i would build a stroker and buy the way it work awesome not bad on fuel and lots of torque on tap witch is what you want in a street car i drive it every wear it got 20,00 mile on hear and oil is still clean as hell I'm going to run it till it starts to burn oil and if you don't think a boosted engine will burn oil just think when the boost is on its shoving the rings into the cylinder walls this is why they have special pistons and rings.

Everyone says a stock blocks limit is 600HP, I say its BS.

All Mopar with a STOCK BLOCK 1000HP

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zagXF6692lQ"]1000hp Duster - YouTube[/ame]

id say your right i just cape it at 600 hp to be safe a lot of guy will no be running that engine all the time on long runs but i would like to know like you if it will handle the stress if so i have nothing to ever fear.

So Robert, you've got 20k miles on your 426 stroker? is that with the 4.125 in stroke? That isnt too bad. If I could get up to 50k miles with a 416 stroker then I would be satisfied.

no it a Hugh's kit i bought i think its 4.180 just a little bigger and I'm loving it but i did put in the stud girdle i built it to last and i hope it does iv run this think down the highways for mile at some relay stupid RPM like 6500 for mile not just the 1/4 mile and she is still going strong .

well does anyone else have any high milage strokers? or does everyone get bored with them after 10k miles or so and build something new haha

when my car odomiter started to make some noise, i simply disconected it!
An 1/8 to a 1/4 mile at a time, HOO NEEED IT!:cheers:

I think a lot of them are being used were a "mile counter".....Just isn't an option.

Not trying deture any one here, would like to see some high mile storys too:coffee2:

hmmm... so im guessing that not many people have put some serious mileage on their strokers?

We where are all the stories of SB stroker wearing out pre-maturely? People have been building these engines for quite a few years now and I don't see those stories popping up anywhere. Remember with a stroker you don't need to rev it as high to get the power, you don't need realy steep rear end gears to go fast, and you don't need a real high stall converter either.

We where are all the stories of SB stroker wearing out pre-maturely? People have been building these engines for quite a few years now and I don't see those stories popping up anywhere. Remember with a stroker you don't need to rev it as high to get the power, you don't need realy steep rear end gears to go fast, and you don't need a real high stall converter either.

It is a "Myth" Just like the one here.........."Fabo Mythbusters"

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=165579

I'm still waiting for anyone to say they've got a 4" stroker with more than 50K miles on it. I've never seen or read about one. I believe it's not because they are so long lived, but rather they simply are not in vechicles driven that much. One 422 I built 4 years ago was buzzing around MA at 4500rpm on the highway last weekend (he was speeding, the car has 3.23s and a 2200 convertor...lol). It's got over 20K I think over that time including several drives to Carlisle and drag racing. But like most other topics here, I think "wearing out prematurely" is a matter of personal opinion.

I'd also think if this was a myth, you would be reading about ones that have much higher mileage on them. So far, using MAD's deeply scientific method, the highest expected mileage is somewhere higher than 30K...lol

I'm still waiting for anyone to say they've got a 4" stroker with more than 50K miles on it. I've never seen or read about one. I believe it's not because they are so long lived, but rather they simply are not in vechicles driven that much. One 422 I built 4 years ago was buzzing around MA at 4500rpm on the highway last weekend (he was speeding, the car has 3.23s and a 2200 convertor...lol). It's got over 20K I think over that time including several drives to Carlisle and drag racing. But like most other topics here, I think "wearing out prematurely" is a matter of personal opinion.

I'd also think if this was a myth, you would be reading about ones that have much higher mileage on them. So far, using MAD's deeply scientific method, the highest expected mileage is somewhere higher than 30K...lol

I agree that most are not driven all the time so the mileage use is usually always pretty low with these cars.

You like my scientific method huh? No need for any of that hog wash. Real life happenings is what it is all about. Still waiting for someone to prove me wrong on the subject. Think I am going to be waiting a lifetime it seems. Seriously though, I know I am the one getting laughed at!

I absolutly love the idea of a small block stroker. I wouldnt have to change my tranny, I wouldnt have to notch anything for the oil filter, I wouldnt have to shortten my driveshaft, It would weigh waaayyyyy less than a big block (Im going to use alluminum heads etc), and I would have all the power I would ever need. Oh, and I could have power steering. Even though it sounds great, Im just a midshipman and after working on commercial cruise this next summer(internship on a merchant vessel for 90 days) i'll have quite a bit of money to throw into my car. I just dont want to have to rebuild my entire motor after simply 20k miles. I dont have the income or time to do that. I average about 5k-7k miles a year. I understand the theory that because the stroke is longer the motor wont have to rev higher therefor the same amount of wear accur however, Im not entirely convinced because no one on here has ever gone above 40k miles. Does that long stroke cause too much piston slap as the mileage builds up?

I don't know how it translates but a friend who used to race for Chrysler years ago said that he could get about 750 or so 1/4 passes before the motor started to lose compression. I guess that you could hammer it once a day for two years, LOL. Seriously though, it is probably ALSO dependent on the quality of the parts, fitting, and machine work. My guess is that todays rings, machining, and cylinder prep techniques have extended that 750 quite a bit. 20k on his stroker is also pretty arbitrary. Is that 20k grandma miles or is he thrashing the motor to within inches of its life every time he drives it???

I was just playing Mad. Sorry about that crack.

Back on topic... The wear issue ultimately is ring seal. The only thing that keeps rings square in the bore are the skirts. This is why the diameter of a piston is measured there. They stabilize the piston and keep the rings stable. The longer the distance between the rings and the skirts, the more stable the ring packs will remain. The stroker pistons are made shorter, to clear the crank counterweights.
It's my opinion that with the use of a shorter piston the pistons rocks more both at TDC and BDC, and in addition, the sideways force on them is quite a bit more than a factory stroke engine. So you will have accelerated wear (when comparing to a factory setup) in the cylinder walls, the piston skirts, the piston ring lands, and the rings themselves. This is of course assuming the cylinder walls are thick and stable, and it was put to gether properly and the bores were properly cleaned, and it was properly tuned and the rings properly seats and were never washed out. You can't get something for nothing. The power results from the shorter life span and there's really nothing you can do about it except not build one. Which, IMO, is a shame. The stroker small block A body is IMO the ultimate dual porpose car. I've had B, E, A, and C bodies, plu a truck or two. I've built all of them at various times. Nothing is as all around fun as the 408/416 A bodies.

If you are on a budget build a 360 with some good pistons. You can get plenty of power out of a well built 360 for not a lot of money.

well I drove mine close to 5000 km out of the crate cross country last year and am looking to triple that with this years run coast to coast and back so we`ll test your endurance theories pretty good as if running a brand new motor 5000km straight isn`t a good enough run for the doubters who probably won`t put that many miles on there cars in the next 5 years total 15,000 km 8,800 miles plus side trips to visit members and a show or two along the way, something close to 10,000 miles in 3 weeks , should answer most peoples questions -Brian if your out there here`s where we show whats what bud

well im not really on a small budget. Im fine with dropping 7k into my motor. I just want to do it right the first time and have it last. i thought about just building up a 360 but it just isnt enough. I really want a streetable 375 rwhp. if the stroker wont last past 40k miles then I either need to go big block or forced induction. I just really want to do it right the first time.

-
Back